2. The favour

The aroma of the hot food filled the air, the warmth tingling on George's cheeks. "These dumplings are just," Lukas exclaimed, setting down his half eaten dumpling and putting his fingers to his lips, making a chef's kiss. 

Charlie laughed, lowering her piece of chicken into her sweet and sour sauce. "This restaurant is really good!" she remarked and George nodded in agreement, using his chopsticks to pick up his noodles. "We should come here more often."

They ate in a comfortable atmosphere. A lot of banter took place with sudden eruptions of laughter every now and then. George was genuinely having a good time. They finished their food and paid for their meal, tipping the waiter and getting into Lukas' car, chattering animatedly. 

The ride to George's apartment was short. It was dark outside when George got out of the car, waving goodbye as the car honked in response. He walked to the apartment building, getting into the elevator and yawning quietly when he reached his apartment. He took out his keys and put them in the door when suddenly he heard the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs.

George turned around hesitantly and was greeted by an older woman with a kind face and hazel eyes. It was his neighbour, Lana Westcott. She looked reluctant when she approached George, her hands held together. "Good evening. May I ask you for a favour?" 

George's eyes shifted slightly to the side. "Yes, what is it?" he asked, letting his hand fall to his side.

"You are an... energetic young man, a really nice one in fact," Lana started, the look of almost guilt growing on her face. George nodded slowly. "And I need a favour. You see, I'm growing hopeless and need to work a lot to be able to provide for myself. After the incident with my ex-husband, I've been left in quite a tricky financial situation and have to work during the break."

George felt an uneasy feeling but listened politely, nodding every now and then. "I'll get to the point. I have a samoyed, his name is Winston and he needs to be taken on walks twice a day. I was wondering if you would be able to take him on walks during the spring break," she muttered awkwardly, fumbling with her hands. George's eyes twinkled in excitement. He has seen her pet samoyed before and he looks like a literal walking cloud, "I mean - if it's not too big of a hassle."

"Of course I'll take Winston on walks," the brunette said immediately, a small smile tugging on his lips. Lana sighed in relief, smiling herself, "I reckon I start tomorrow?"

"Yes, just come knock on my apartment and you will be right off. Thank you so much, George," said Lana sentimentally, her voice quavering ever so slightly, "You are a good man."

"Anytime, Ms. Westcott," George answered, earning another genuine smile from Lana. She thanked him once more before walking down the stairs, George opening his doors and walking into his apartment.  

He felt a bit bad for his neighbour. She was such a kind woman and didn't deserve this. He decided right then and there that he was going to take Winston on walks for how long she needed him to. 

George walked into the bathroom, sighing contently when the hot water poured down his back, the warmth engulfing him. He felt rather tired but satisfied with the fact that he was finally going to be able to relax. His mind got fogged with thoughts, closing his eyes briefly. 

When he got out of the shower, he put on his clothes and walked over to the living room to find Cat curled up in a ball, resting his head on his paws. George gave him a pet and went to give him his dinner, Cat meowing softly. After an hour of cuddling and playing with Cat, he started getting drowsy. 

The night was warm and pleasant. George got into his bed, pulling up his laptop and binging a few episodes of his favourite show for an hour or two, before closing it and burying his head into his pillow, falling asleep shortly after.