10

I woke up with a start, clutching my chest. It took me a couple seconds to catch my breath as I processed what had just happened. What was wrong with me? Here I was in the middle of trying to wreck my best friend's marriage in order to win her over, dreaming about my accomplice for this crime instead of the girl I was doing all of this for.

I shook my head, running a hand through my hair. Clearly my brain was fried from the stress of this week. That had to be the explanation. Still, I couldn't help the goosebumps cascading along my skin as I remembered the feeling of Siyeon's lips on mine in my dreams. The hair on the back of my neck bristled as I savored the softness of her hands which had run themselves all over my body. Shit, this was not good. To make matters worse, the very last person I wanted to see burst through my bedroom door right as I was trying to calm myself.

"Morning, partner! Looks like you slept well. I'm sure glad I came to check on you, because you are gonna have to get ready real quick if we wanna sneak in the room before the others get there!" Siyeon greeted me with a grin.

"Right, sorry. Guess I needed the sleep to recover from yesterday. I'll be ready in a jiff. Let's meet in front of the sunroom," I told her, scurrying to grab everything I needed.

Siyeon saluted and exited my room, closing the door behind her. Once she was gone, I turned to look at my reflection in the mirror.

"Keep your eye on the prize. It's Minji you love. You've loved her for your entire life. Don't throw this all away for some stupid dream that means nothing. Got it?" I scolded myself, poking the glass.
~
About twenty minutes later, I had finished primping and was ready for the shower. I headed over to the meeting place we'd agreed on and saw Siyeon waiting for me. I hadn't gotten a good look at her when she came into my room (mostly because I was avoiding eye contact), but she looked good. While I had opted for a dress, Siyeon had chosen a navy blue pantsuit with a low cut neckline. Her hair was tied in a neat ponytail and her makeup enhanced the sharpness of her eyes. She looked powerful. I realized just how fragile I was next to her, even more so because of that stupid dream. I caught myself playing with my hair, a habit I only reverted to when I was nervous. It was rare for anyone to intimidate me, but Siyeon was beginning to have that effect.

"Wow, you clean up good! I never would have guessed you were in a hurry to get ready this morning," Siyeon complimented me when she noticed my presence.

"You know, that sounded like a bit of a backhanded compliment, but I'll take it. Anyways, let's get this show on the road," I replied, giving her a small smile.

I was grateful that we were in a hurry. I didn't want to be alone with Siyeon for much longer. The dream I'd had last night scared me, and while I knew I'd eventually forget about it and move on, right now its contents felt all too real.

The two of us headed into the sunroom, searching for the objects we needed for today's mission. It was easy enough to locate them. Siyeon grabbed the pile of papers containing the activities planned for the shower, and quickly hid them in her clothing. I went for the cake, which had been delivered ridiculously early this morning. With careful movements, I gently removed the many toothpicks that had been placed in the cake to hold its shape. Thankfully, it held its form, but the next person who touched it would be in for a surprise. With that, our work was complete. Siyeon and I nodded at each other before sneaking out of the sunroom, careful not to be seen.
~
Later that morning, everyone congregated in front of the sunroom before the event. Minji and Yoohyeon seemed to have resolved any tension between them from last night, or else were maintaining appearances for the bridal shower. Yoohyeon was practically draped over Minji's arm, the two of them unable to stop smiling at each other as they greeted their guests. Both of them looked like princesses, dressed in white sundresses with their hair styled to perfection. Everyone kept commenting about what a perfect couple they were and how excited they were for the wedding. The brides-to-be gave everyone the same grateful response, their smiles never leaving their faces. Thankfully, the charade was cut short when Gahyeon and Handong announced that it was time for everyone to come in and find their table.