16

After everyone had filed out of the ceremony venue, I looked for Siyeon among the countless guests. My search was fruitless, and soon the two brides emerged, which meant I would have to put my mission on hiatus so that I could join everyone in congratulating them. I figured Siyeon must have been helping put away the sound equipment she used in her performance. I would just have to hunt her down later so that we could talk.

I continued to keep an eye out for her as the bridal party was dragged away for photos. I figured she'd have to be included in the group shot since the brides had gotten her a pink dress like ours, but apparently I was mistaken. Time continued to pass with no sign of Siyeon. Had she ditched in fear of actually having to face me? That was all I could think about as time drew nearer to the wedding reception. With the way things were going, it would be hard for me to have a good time. How was I supposed to enjoy the night with so many unresolved feelings lingering in the air?

Before I knew it, it was time for the reception. The entire afternoon had passed with no word from Siyeon. I found myself brooding alone in a cloud of anxiety while everyone fluttered around me in excitement. I wanted to be happy with Yoohyeon and Minji over their newly cemented marriage, but it was hard to do so when the girl I loved was ghosting me. How could everyone act so calm when Siyeon was MIA like this? Did they all know something I didn't?

On our way into the reception venue, Minji pulled me aside. I had been so focused on brooding and staring at the ground that everything else escaped my attention. I wasn't even aware of her approaching me until she physically grabbed my arm and dragged me away.

"Lighten up, buttercup. You look like you're at a funeral instead of my wedding," she teased.

"Minji, you know why I'm upset. Siyeon said she wanted to talk and then vanished without a trace. What am I supposed to do now? Am I gonna run into her at the party? Are we supposed to discuss our feelings while doing the "Cha Cha Slide" on the dance floor? She probably chickened out and is ditching because she doesn't wanna reject me during your wedding. This sucks! I wish she'd just grow a pair and face me so I can drink myself numb and forget any of this ever happened," I grumbled.

Minji nodded sympathetically as she listened to my griping. This was her wedding day and here she was listening to me bitch about my stupid feelings that only happened because I tried to sabotage her marriage. I really didn't deserve her.

"Minji, why are you even putting up with me right now? This is your day, and here I am ruining it with my drama. Go be with your new wife. I'll get over this on my own. I'm a big girl," I told her, giving her a shove.

Minji giggled, "Despite your tiny size, you've always been tough as nails. I know you'll get through this. I may not know Siyeon well, but I don't think she's flaking out on you. She probably has a way she wants this to go. Just be patient and have fun in the meantime, okay?" she comforted me.

She might as well have told me to climb Mount Everest in an hour. Forgetting about Siyeon and trying to have a good time would be just as impossible at this point. Still, I forced a smile on my face and followed her into the venue.
~
All around me, people were having the time of their lives. I felt like I had a tiny rain cloud hovering over my head, isolating me from all the joyous partygoers. I had staked out the primo location at the bar and was ready to drown my sorrows with my favorite antidote for a broken heart: a good drink.

I had yet to see Siyeon. Dinner was going to be served soon, and I was beginning to worry. Was she not going to show up at all? Who ditches their good friend's wedding reception after singing at the ceremony? That girl was still such an enigma to me.

Gahyeon, Handong, and Yoobin had all made it a point to come by and check on me. They were probably doing it at Minji's behest, since she was unable to get a moment to herself amidst the barrage of congratulations. Gahyeon had hugged me and told me that Siyeon had no idea what she was missing out on and then went off to dance with a group of her friends whom Minji had also babysat as children. Handong told me she was willing to listen while I vented my frustrations over a round of drinks. I think she was grateful when I thanked her for the offer and dismissed her. Yoobin was the one who gave me the tough love I needed.