Chapter 6 - Are You Okay?

Annabelle's P.O.V.

Paul was free today. He even invited me to come over to his house. Ever since we started dating, things have been absolutely perfect!

Anyway, I reached Paul's place and saw him sitting on his front step. He smiles when he sees me. "There she is!" He said. "Hi, Paulie." I said. Paul stands up and kisses my forehead. "Come on in and make yourself at home." He said. I sat down on his couch and he hands me a glass of water.

"What a nice home you have." I said. "Thank you." Said Paul. He sits next me and pulls me close to him. "Thanks for inviting me over. I've always wanted to see what your house is like." I said. "You're welcome. You'll always be welcome here." Paul said. I notice his guitar next to him. "Were you planning on playing me a song?" I asked. "Guilty." Said Paul with a wink. He picks up his guitar and tunes it before getting into singing his song.

I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her, too
I love her

She gives my everything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

After Paul got done singing, I was already a weeping mess, but with happy tears. "I remember when you sang that in A Hard Day's Night the movie!" I said. "It's on the record with the same name as well." Paul said. "I knew that." I said with a smile.

I handed Paul my empty glass and he brought it over to the sink. After he finished drying it, he started coughing and gasping for air. "Paul, are you okay?" I asked. But Paul didn't answer me. He pulled out a tissue and put it up to his mouth as he continued to cough. After he pulled it away, the tissue had a spot of blood on it.

"Sorry about that, love." Said Paul. "It's okay. What happened?" I asked. "My throat's been acting up lately." Paul said. "Are you sure that's it? I saw blood on your tissue." I said. "Um... well..." Said Paul as he turned away from me. "Paul?" I said with my arms crossed. "It's nothing, trust me." Paul said. "If you say so. If you're sick, I'd be more than happy to take care of you." I said. "Thanks, darling. But I'm fine." Said Paul.

I left Paul's house a few hours later and felt my whole body trembling. Something tells me that Paul is hiding something he doesn't wanna tell me. Although I'm concerned about him, I won't pressure him into telling me something he'd rather not say. Anyway, I arrived home a minute later.

"I'm home!" I called. "Hi, honey! How's Paul?" Asked my mom. "He's okay, I guess." I said as I shrugged my shoulders. "You guess?" Asked my dad. "He had a violent coughing fit at one point. I'm worried about him." I said. My parents move in to comfort me. After a little bit, I walk up to my room. Abigail pokes her head in. "What's wrong, Belle?" She asked. "I'm worried about Paul, Abby. Something's not right with him." I said.

Abigail comes in and wraps her arms around me. "There, there, sis. I'm sure it's nothing serious." She said. "I think it is serious. He just won't tell me." I said as a tear fell from my eye. "Give him some time. He'll probably tell you when he's ready." Said Abigail. "Maybe you're right." I said.

About an hour later, I'm sitting in my room reading my book. A knock on my door occurs. "Come in." I said. The door opens to reveal Nathan. He enters the room. "Hey, Belle." He said. "Hi, Nathan." I said. "You feeling okay?" Asked Nathan. "Not really." I said. "I heard you're worried about Paul." Nathan said. "I am." I said. "Do you know what's wrong with him?" Asked Nathan. "All I know is that he broke into a violent coughing fit and blood came out of his mouth." I said.

Abigail back comes in at one point. "Annabelle, Mom says there's someone on the phone for you." She said. "I'll be right down." I said. Abigail nods as I make my way downstairs. My mom hands me the phone. "It's Paul." She said. I put the phone up to my ear.

"Hi, Paul." I said. "Annabelle, there's something I have to tell you." Said Paul. He sounds sad. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" I asked. "It's best if I tell you in person. Stop by my house first thing tomorrow afternoon." Paul said. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yes, love. I'm positive." Said Paul. "If you say so. I'll see you tomorrow then. I love you." I said. "I love you too." Paul said.

The line goes dead as I put the phone back on the receiver. "What did Paul have to say?" Asked my dad. "He wants me to stop by his house tomorrow afternoon since he has something to tell me." I said. "What do you think it is?" My mom asked. "I don't know. I'll have to wait until tomorrow." I said. "Hang in there, sweetheart. Whatever it is he has to say, I'm sure it's nothing serious." My dad said. "I wouldn't be so sure about that." I said.

I walked back to my room, laid on my bed, and stared at the ceiling. What does Paul have to tell me? I'm super nervous about it.