Chapter 7 - It Can't Be!

Annabelle's P.O.V.

I made my way over to Paul's house in the afternoon like he asked me. I knocked on his door and waited for an answer. It took two minutes until I saw the door open. There stood Paul. He looked like he'd been crying since his eyes were red and his cheeks were tear stained. "I'm here as promised." I said.
Paul gestured to let me in and pointed to the couch for us to sit down.

"So... what is it that you wanted to tell me?" I asked. Paul didn't say anything at first. His head was dangling and he had his face buried in his hands. I put my hand on his shoulder and gently shook him. "Paul, say something." I said.

"I'm sick." Said Paul. "You're sick? I'll take care of you until you're..." Paul cuts me off. "No, Annabelle, you don't understand! I'm very sick!" He said. "Define very sick." I said. A long moment of silence occurs until Paul speaks up again. "I'm dying." He said. My eyes widened. "What?! No! It can't be!!!" I said in shock. "I'm afraid it's true." Paul said. "But... but..." I stuttered. "Darling, do you remember when I broke into a coughing fit and blood came out of my mouth?" Asked Paul. "Yeah?" I said. Paul takes a deep breath. "I have tuberculosis." He said.

I can feel tears starting to fill up my eyes. "Paul, why would you keep this from me?" I asked with my voice trembling. "I'm sorry, Annabelle, I really am. I wanted to tell you, but I was afraid that you'd run away from me." Said Paul as his voice started to tremble. Tears fell from his eyes. "How much longer do you have?" I asked. "A few weeks, maybe a month, I don't know." Paul said. I stand up from the couch and he follows me. I feel his hand on my shoulder.

"It's hard, I know. I was afraid for my life when the doctor told me how much longer I have to live. Believe me, I'm still scared." Said Paul. "I'm scared too. I really wish you'd tell me sooner. When I asked you yesterday, you hesitated to get your words out. I'm a little disappointed in you, but I'm glad you told me now." I said. "You're not planning on breaking up with me, are you?" Paul asked. "Of course not." I said. Paul breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness." He said. "So, now what?" I asked. "I guess we'll have to make the most of however much time I have left." Said Paul. "I guess you're right." I said.

Paul breaks into another coughing fit that's more violent than the one he had yesterday. At one point, he starts gasping for air. "Paul, are you okay?!" I asked worriedly. Instead of answering me, Paul collapses to the ground. I let out a gasp. Is he dead? I hope not. I bent down to Paul's level and rolled him onto his back. His eyes were closed, but I couldn't tell if he was dead or unconscious.

"Paul? Paulie? Sweetheart, can you hear me?" I asked while shaking him. Paul didn't move. I checked his pulse, he still had one. I then looked down and saw his chest going up and down, which told me he's breathing. Phew! He's still alive! Instead of just sitting down and doing nothing, I walked upstairs to the bathroom, grabbed a washcloth, ran cold water on it, rang it out so it doesn't drip, and went back downstairs to where Paul's unconsciousness body was. I bent back down to his level and started wiping his face with the washcloth.

Paul's P.O.V.

I came to about five minutes later. When I opened my eyes, I saw Annabelle looking down at me. She was wiping my face with a wet washcloth. "Annabelle." I said through a whisper. "Shhh. It's okay, Paulie. I'm here." Said Annabelle. I give her a weak smile and eventually sat up. "That took a lot out of me." I said. "I know. That was scarier than the one you had yesterday." Annabelle said.

"I never meant to frighten you, dear. It just happened." I said. Annabelle caresses my face. "I understand, darling. Are you okay now?" She asked. "Yeah. I think so." I said. Annabelle holds out her hand and helps me up. "Would you like me to stay with you for a little while longer?" She asked. "Stay as long as you want, sweetheart." I said. "When I go home, I'm gonna pack my things and come back here. Besides, I won't spend a single day without being with you because of the state you're in." Said Annabelle.

I nod at my girlfriend's words. We need each other, especially at this time.

Annabelle's P.O.V.

I left Paul's house after a while and made my way home. After I walked in the door, I immediately started making my way up to my room. I pulled out my suitcase and put some of my stuff that I'll need inside.

My mom enters the room while I'm packing. "What's going on?" She asked. "I'm gonna stay with Paul for a little while longer." I said. "Speaking of Paul, what did he have to tell you?" Asked my mom. "This is gonna be really hard to say but... he's dying." I said hesitantly. "Dying?!" My mom asked worriedly. "Uh-huh. He has tuberculosis. I don't know how much longer he has, but he did say that he's gonna die in a few weeks, or maybe a month. Who knows?" I said. "Aww, I'm sorry, sweetie." Said my mom as she wraps her arms around me.

After a little while, I continued packing my stuff, said goodbye to my parents and siblings, and made my way back to Paul's house.