An Uncomfortable Arrangement and an Unlikely Ally

Julien's horse skids to a halt in the courtyard of the Tower, and he is out of the saddle in an instant, pushing past guards who scurry to bow and launching himself up the stairs in his rush to get to the Princess.

"Where is she?" he demands.

Killian takes the lead, gesturing to the Tower guards to stand down. He guides Julien through the passageways and corridors until at last they arrive at the door that leads to the cell where Felicite is imprisoned.

"Princess Felicite," Killian announces. "You've a guest."

"Open the door!" Julien demands harshly. The guards posted near her cell - an attempt by Killian to ensure her safety - hurry to obey, scrambling with keys and, after what seems like an eternity, they manage to open the door to the cell.

Felicite is sitting at her writing table, a book open before her. She stares at him, open-mouthed with shock at the sight of the king rushing into her tiny prison. Then she leaps to her feet, curtsying as she has been taught, because her anger and disgust somehow do not overrule her sense of propriety and training.

"Your Grace," she says, her eyes lowered.

Julien shakes his head. "Please, allow me to escort you to your home."

"My home?" she asks, raising her eyebrows. "You have decided to release me, then?"

He shakes his head. "Please believe me, Princess Felicite. I never ordered your imprisonment. You are leaving immediately."

She releases a breath. "If you did not order my imprisonment, Your Grace, may I ask who did?"

Julien ignores her, removing his own cloak to wrap around her shoulders. "Come. I will take you home."

She hesitates. She does not trust him. 

What reason has he ever given her to trust him? He thinks to himself.

She takes the arm he offers wearily but allows him to lead her from her prison, through the dark corridors and into the night.

Julien lifts her onto Killian's horse, instructing Killian to return to the castle of Ravaenna. Killian does not protest, and Felicite remains silent as they begin to make their way toward Lady Margrithe's apartments.

"I know the proposal before you does not appeal to you," Julien says as they ride together. "It is not how I imagined, either, but there is reason for it. I do not want to force you, but they will not allow us to wed until we've an heir. Rebellions are springing up by the day. We must be wed to unify the Three Kingdoms and we must have an heir to secure the peace we are working to create. It would be much simpler if you would work with me rather than against me."

"You locked me in a tower."

"I did not."

"Would locking me in a tower be beneath you, Your Grace?"

"I suppose I deserve that."

"If you were in such a rush to marry me, then why did I sit in the apartments of my aunt for three months, utterly abandoned, before you showed your face?"

"Because I knew you would hate me as much as I hated you."

"I shall never forgive you."

"I know."

She pauses for a long moment before she speaks again. "Thank you. For freeing me, I mean."

"Do not thank me. We must work together. I know that you love your people, Princess. And they love you. Perhaps we can come to an understanding, for the sake of the people?"