The Princess in the Tower

*Prince Killian*

The nobles insist that the wedding not occur until Felicite carries Julien's heir. That is the only way to ensure her fertility and to guarantee the line of succession. The only way to guarantee peace between the kingdoms. A condition is set forth that Felicite must consent to the conception of the heir. They deem enough time has passed to confirm that she cannot be carrying Jolis' child, and that the process begin immediately so as to secure the kingdoms.

Twice Lucien sends Killian to obtain Felicite's consent, and twice Killian returns empty-handed. He is impressed by the strength and will of his future sister-in-law and, although he dreads returning to the castle of Ravaenna to inform Lucien of her refusal, he cannot help but be amused by her courage, no matter what the cost to her. 

Julien has met his match, that is for certain. 

"Apologies, Brother," Killian says as he enters Lucien's study. "Princess Felicite has again refused to give consent. The nobles will not force her. And if we force her, the people will revolt. So, what is our play?"

"You will simply need to be a bit more persuasive," Lucien says, returning his dark eyes to the parchment before him. 

"She is not going to have a change of heart. Her mind is set."

"Then change it for her."

"And how do you propose I do that?"

"Must I think of everything for everyone, every moment of the day? If she will not give her consent, and her consent is the only thing standing in our way, then present her an option that she cannot refuse. She consents, or she is imprisoned."

"You are not serious," Killian says. When Lucien returns to his work, Killian shakes his head. "You are serious."

"Quite," Lucien replies. 

"And what am I to charge her with when I arrest her?"

"Treason," Lucien shrugs. "I do not know. Make something up. Improvise."

"Let me see if I understand your orders correctly. You want me to arrest an Agincourt princess on charges of treason because she will not consent to relations with our brother before they are wed. Is that accurate?"

Lucien nods. 

"Wonderful," Killian says with a sigh. As he turns to leave, he pauses. "Tell me, Brother, will there ever come a time when you dirty your hands yourself?"

Lucien dismisses him without another word, and Killian is only too happy to take his leave. He heads for the nearest tavern to drown his thoughts in ale.

"Lady Anjolique, Lady Margrithe," Killian says, bowing. "Good morning to you both."

Margrithe eyes him skeptically, wrinkling her nose in distaste. "Your Grace, you smell like a tavern."

"I suppose I do."

"What brings you to our humble home?" Margrithe asks, raising an eyebrow. "Were you not satisfied with our answer yesterday?"

"I am afraid not," Killian says uncomfortably, unable to meet the eyes of either woman. "I have come to ask for Princess Felicite's consent one final time."

"And again, we refuse," Margrithe says, "so I am sorry that you have wasted your time."

"I would hear this from the Princess in her own words."

Margrithe nods and Anjolique hurries to find Felicite. When she returns, Felicite sweeps a curtsy for the prince before raising her head. 

"Good day, Your Grace," she says politely.