A Difficult Decision

"Mother!" Felicite cries as she rushes into the chambers in which her mother resides, finding herself completely and utterly alone. "Mother, I've news, wonderful news-"

She glances around, confused.

The room is empty.

She cannot even find her mother's scent.

"Mother?" she calls again, searching throughout the chamber, but it is abandoned. "Lady Mother?"

She first seeks Gabriel, but he has no information for her. He offers to travel to Lady Margrithe's home to see if Anjolique has merely gone for a short stay. He assures her that all will be well and that he will locate her mother. She nods, thanking him, but she knows that something larger is at play, something more sinister.

Felicite finds only Lucien in Julien's audience chamber, speaking in hushed tones with Ambassador Scapon of Andalium. 

"I beg pardon," she says, and the two men whirl to face her. Both sweep into overly-dramatic bows, and Felicite resists the urge to roll her eyes at their ridiculous display. 

"Your Grace," Lucien says with a ridiculous smile plastered on his lips. "How may I be of service?"

"Where is my mother?" she demands.

"I've no idea," Lucien says with a nonchalant shrug. "Perhaps you should ask your husband."

"I would be glad to, if only I could find him. You seem to keep him quite busy, Lord Protector."

"I ask only that he perform his duties as King of the Three Kingdoms."

"You ask nothing of my husband. You take it," Felicite replies. "I ask you again, Lord Protector, where is my mother?"

"And I tell you again, Your Grace, that I've no idea. Ask your husband. He is king, is he not?"

Julien lounges in his throne, his crown falling over his eyes, and he looks as if he may die of boredom. He waves his hand to dismiss the petitioners before him irritably. 

"Felicite!" he says as she enters his audience chamber. His face brightens. "A beautiful distraction, precisely what I need."

"Julien, where is my mother?"

Julien's eyes widen for the briefest of moment, then he redirects her question quickly. "Shall we go for a hunt? There are enough men here, I could have Killi organize a tournament. Hawking, perhaps? Or we could take a barge-"

"Julien! Where is my mother?"

"Tell them I will hear their petitions tomorrow," he tells the herald, who bows politely and closes the doors of the audience chamber. "Felicite, surely you have heard by now."

"Heard what?"

"Your mother has betrayed us," Julien replies. His eyes narrow and his voice rumbles with anger. "The pension that I ensured her, that I provide her, she has been sending to your brother Mariusz so that he can muster enough men to rise against me. To rise against us." 

"That is not true!" Felicite shouts, her own anger rising. "My mother would never-"

"Oh, yes, she did," Julien says. "I've been intercepting her correspondence for weeks. It took a bit to decipher her code - she is a clever woman, if nothing else! - but we did, and were able to catch her in the act of treason."

"You will not execute her," Felicite says sharply. "You would not dare."

"No, I will not," Julien agrees, nodding. "I've sent her to the only place I deem appropriate for her. A nunnery."