Sanctuary

The battle rages on the streets above them, the shouting and clattering of swords and armor deafening at times. Felicite and Dulce can do nothing but remain in their hiding place while a war is waged all around them. 

The early days are the easiest, despite the noise of battle that surrounds them, if sanctuary could ever be described as easy. There is no word from anyone, and Felicite is near mad with desperation to hear some news, any news. But there are books to read, and the food supply is plentiful. There is even wine, which makes the time spent in the damp cellar of the Abbey of Allium somewhat more bearable.

"Lissy, you must try to rest," Dulce sighs on the third night. "You've hardly slept. I promised Julien that I would see to your health, and that of the baby."

"I am fine," Felicite replies, going to the barred window for the hundredth time in the past hour. "Julien should have sent word by now! Why has he not sent word?"

"I am certain it is because he is doing his best to protect us, Felicite. He will send word when he is able. I hardly think sending correspondence is his priority at the moment."

"You do not think he is-"

"No, I absolutely do not think so, and you must not say such things," Dulce says sharply. "You must trust him. He will send word when he is able. He loves you, Lissy."

"He does not," Felicite says, her words slurring slightly as she refills her goblet with wine. 

Dulce looks horrified. "Of course, he does! Everyone knows. The kingdoms are filled with tales of your great love for one another. Of the love story of the king and queen of the Three Kingdoms."

"He married me because he was given no choice."

"Do you not love Julien?"

"I wish I did not," Felicite sighs. "It would make things so much easier."

"What do you mean?"

"Allowing myself to fall in love with him, it made me a traitor to my own house. And a traitor to Jolis. Now nothing I do is Agincourt enough for the Agincourts, and I can never be Fleming enough to satisfy the Flemings. I am caught in between two worlds, trapped, and I've sentenced my boy to the same fate. If only Julien had taken his sword to my heart, as he did Jolis. "

"You mustn't say such things. You are the most beloved queen in the history of our people. Even more than our Lady Mother. The people adore you."

"But I am at odds with everyone at court. I can trust no one, no one but you, and Gabriel."

"And Killi, and of course Julien," Dulce adds. "Father would tell you that you are fortunate to have so many."

"I wish I had never been queen."

"You must not speak so, Lissy. You must be grateful. You've found your mate and you are able to be with him. You've money and fine things and a fine son. You've everything any princess could dream of. So why are you not happy?"

"My mate," Felicite laughs bitterly. "Oh, yes, I found him. But at what cost?"

"You love Julien, I know you do. And he loves you. I will hear no more of this talk. Some of us have been married off to one who is not our mate, and our fate is sealed. We've no chance of happiness. So I will hear no more of your self-pity, only prayers that your love and mine return to us safely."

"Well," Felicite says with a slow smile. "Now you're beginning to sound like a queen."

A week passes, and another week, and still there is no word.