Secrets

"This is my fault," Felicite says miserably, pressing a kiss to Cosette's cold forehead. "I should never have let her come. I should never have led her into danger when I have sworn to protect her."

"She would have come, anyway, Felicite," Anjolique says sadly. "You are not to blame."

"I've ruined everything," Felicite says, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Julien will never forgive me for what I've done with the treasury, and I've cost Cosette her life. So many of our people have lost their lives."

"You do not need the king's forgiveness. You saved your people. They are singing your praises in the streets. And you would never have had the opportunity to turn Cosette away. She wanted to be just like you, a princess for her people, a queen to lead them into peace and prosperity."

"No one should be like me. I am weak, and selfish. I could not even remain faithful to my true love. Nor could I remain faithful to my House."

"My husband is dead. I've no word from my sons, whether they live or die. Claude is nasty and spiteful, Cosette is gone now. You and Dulce are all I have, and our beautiful Fionn, of course, and this is enough. As I told you on your wedding day, Felicite, we will march forward to where we wish to be."

Cosette is buried with none of the ceremony befitting her station. The sickness gives them no choice, and Felicite is heartbroken that there shall be no mourning period for her beloved sister. To compound her heartache, she is unable to see her son for several days following Cosette's burial for fear of infecting the little prince with the plague. Not even Anjolique can see him; he is quartered with Julien's mother, Saoirse, in the Tower apartments until Tormund is satisfied that Felicite does not carry the disease.

"The king! The king!" someone shouts from the courtyard, pulling her from her thoughts.  Felicite hurries to the nearest window, where she arrives just in time to see Julien and his brother, Prince Killian, arrive with a company of men and members of the privy council.

"Julien," she whispers hoarsely, but her voice grows stronger as she cries out for him. "Julien!"

She is loud enough to attract his attention. He raises his chin and his eyes meet hers, and she sees that they are filled with worry.

Worry for her.

"Felicite!" he cries, leaping from the saddle even before his horse has come to a complete halt.

She meets him in the courtyard, throwing herself into his arms and sobbing against his neck. He holds her against him for a long while, until her tears slow and her breathing steadies.

"You are well? You are not sick? And Fionn?"

"I am not well, but it is not plague that grieves me. Fionn is safe and in good health. I promised you I would keep him so."

"What is troubling you?" Julien asks, wiping at her tears with his hands.

"I want her arrested! She must be punished!" Lord Marquard storms into the courtyard, wagging his finger accusingly at Felicite before she has the opportunity to explain.

Julien snorts. "On what charge should I arrest my wife, Lord Marquard?"

"Treason!"

"Treason?" Julien's eyes widen. "That is a serious accusation."

"He is right to accuse me," Felicite admits. "I stole from the treasury."

"What?" Julien and Killian exclaim at the same time, both of their eyes widening; their expressions might have made her laugh, if the situation were not so dire.