Betrayal for All

"You look well," Mariusz says as he releases Felicite from his embrace, tucking a lock of coppery bronze hair that has strayed from her elaborate style behind her ear. "I have missed you."

"Why have you come? He will kill you, Mariusz. You will give him no choice if he finds you here. You must go," she says, her voice pleading. 

"Go? I've only just arrived, and I fully intend to stay."

"This is not a game! There are lives at stake, including your own. If he finds you here-"

"Then he finds me,"  Mariusz shrugs.

"You risked much by raising the Agincourt standard during my coronation procession. You risk everything by remaining in Ravaenna."

"You are a true daughter of the House of Agincourt. It was shameful that your own family was unrepresented at your own coronation. I am certain it was reported to the king, and I am certain he agreed it was appropriate, or I would have been caught. But instead, I stood there beneath the banner of our Ancestors proudly while I watched my sister process to her destiny. Besides, the gain is worth the risk."

"You will gain nothing and lose everything, including your head, you foolish, foolish boy," she says tearfully, embracing him again. "And we've already lost too much."

"What do you mean?" Mariusz asks. "Who have we lost?"

"Cosette caught the plague and she died helping me bring aid to the people," Felicite bites her lip to stop the flow of tears that threatens to spill from her eyes. The raw pain of Cosette's death still gnaws at her, along with the guilt, and Mariusz can see that now.

"Oh, that poor, sweet girl," he says. "But you did not bring the plague upon us. I am certain that was the fault of your husband when he brought the army of mercenaries and filthy Andals against King Jolis."

"You cannot blame everything that has happened on Julien, Mariusz."

"Of course I can. Why can you not?"

"Jolis is gone-"

"Cut down by your husband's hand, unless you have forgotten."

"Of course I have not forgotten," Felicite's eyes narrow at her older brother. "But we've also lost Father-"

"Father? Father is not dead, Felicite."

"He is."

"He is not. He was there today, at your coronation, as well."

"What?" Felicite gasps, taking a step backward. She feels as though she may faint. 

"Your Grace?" Gabriel's voice interrupts them, booming through the door. "Are you well?"

"You have to go, Mariusz," Felicite hisses. "Now!"

"We can trust Gabriel."

"I will not allow him to be punished for this. He will not lose his head because of your recklessness. There is more at stake here than the crown Julien wears," she replies, then raises her voice to address Gabriel. "Yes, I am well, thank you. Good night, Gabriel."

"Goodnight," Gabriel replies, but she can hear the hesitation in his voice. Mariusz has masked his scent somehow, but Gabriel is no fool; his delicate ears would have heard their conversation, and if he believed her speaking to anyone other than one of her brothers, he would have entered her private chamber to protect her. Gabriel will know something is wrong, and Felicite's heart sinks as she realizes Mariusz's presence alone brands Gabriel a traitor. 

"Fine," Mariusz relents. "I will go, Sister, but you will meet me tomorrow in the ash grove when the moon reaches her peak. We will run, and then we will speak freely."