Plague

The realm is quiet for much of the autumn while preparations are underway for Felicite's coronation. The uprisings had to be stopped first, of course, and now that the leaders of the rebellion, Julien's own brothers Lucien and Florian, have been arrested and imprisoned in the Tower, business can continue in the kingdom as usual. 

There is still much on Julien's mind, however. He knows now that Felicite's brothers, Mariusz and Richard, live, and he has sent Killian to learn of the whereabouts of his wayward brothers-in-law. So far, Killian's search has been futile, but he is relentless in his pursuit. Fortunately for Julien, Killian is a loyal brother who will not sit by idly while a threat to Julien's reign exists. 

He has not yet decided what he will do with the Agincourt princes when he captures them. Executing them would be the only way to guarantee the safety of Julien's rule and that of his son after him, but he is not certain Felicite will forgive him if he does. She is already angry enough with him, now that she has learned of his decision to release Lucien and Florian from their confinement within the Tower. 

"Your brothers, who actively threatened your rule, admitted to acts of treason, and attempted your life, go free, and mine, who have done nothing to you and pose no threat whatsoever to your rule are condemned to death?" she had demanded. She had not given him the chance to respond, but what could he have even said to her to justify his decision? 

Felicite is angry that Lucien still draws breath.

But he is my brother, and I would not be king without him. I cannot execute him. I cannot imprison him in the Tower and forget his existence.

The peace in the kingdoms fades with the celebrations of the autumn season. When the feast days end, Julien rides out from Ravaenna south toward River Run, where the royal family will spend the bitter winter months. Felicite and Fionn will follow him. 

But before he can send for them, plague descends upon the people of the Three Kingdoms and runs rampant, unchecked, throwing the kingdom into chaos. 

"You must quarantine the city of Ravaenna," the Duke of Chalot, the head of his privy council, says firmly.

"My wife and son are in the city," Julien replies. "I will give the order when they have joined me."

"Your Grace, you cannot send for them now," the duke says. "None of us can send for our families now. We must wait."

"Are you saying that I must leave my mate and my heir alone and unprotected in a city ravaged by plague, my lord Chalot?" Julien demands.

"I wish there was another way-"

"He is right," Killian says. "He's right, Julien. We cannot send for any of them, not until this wave of the disease has passed."

Julien's heart sinks as his eyes search the faces of the members of his privy council. 

"And you are all in agreement?"

Their heads nod in unison. 

Julien returns to his chair, resting his head in his hands. He draws a deep breath before nodding. 

"Alright, then," he says reluctantly. "Ravaenna is quarantined."

"Who remains in Ravaenna from the council?" Chalot asks. "Someone who could keep watch over the princess and our young prince?"

Killian snorts with laughter.

"I did not realize I had said something funny, Your Grace," Chalot bristles. 

"Forgive me, my lord Chalot," Killian says. "It is amusing to me that you believe my sister-in-law needs someone to keep watch over her."

Julien laughs then, as well. "If anyone can beat a plague into submission, it is my wife."