A Dynasty Broken

"What is that terrible noise?" Felicite asks sleepily, rolling away from Julien and onto her side. She is still recovering from Oisin's birth, and she moves slowly, but she makes her way to the window and gazes down upon an unsettling scene.

The home guard has returned, and they have not come alone.

In their midst, a horse is led by one of the men, because the riders hands are bound together behind him. His face is dirty and bruised, his dark hair tangled and matted, but she would recognize him anywhere.

"Mariusz," she gasps, her hand going to her mouth in surprise. 

"Come back to bed, my love. It is too early," Julien grumbles from the bed.

"The guard has returned," she informs him. "They have captured my brother."

This rouses Julien and sends him rushing to the window, and he is unable to hide his smile from her. 

"And what will you do now, Julien?"

"You know what I must do," Julien replies.

But Mariusz is not Julien's first order of business on this morning, because another more pressing matter awaits his attention. 

Prince Vladimir of Andalium arrives today, and there is more unhappy news that Julien must deliver to his wife. He has promised that Dulce be allowed to remain until the child was born; but the child came early, and now he must continue onward to forge the alliance with Andalium. He cannot afford another war, certainly not one so soon, and not with a kingdom as powerful as Andalium. 

Dulce has not been informed that she will wed today, nor that she will be leaving on a ship bound for her new home before dusk. 

And neither has Felicite.

This day will not be a good one for his marriage, of that Julien is absolutely certain. 

"Where is Killi?" he asks his mother as they break their fasts in the small dining chamber together. "I have not seen him since supper."

"He is brooding," Saoirse replies. 

"He must get over it, and quickly," Julien says. "I am entrusting Princess Dulce's care to him today, to escort her to her wedding and to give her away in my absence, and to take her to the ship."

"Perhaps there is someone better suited to the task," Saoirse suggests. 

"I trust no one more."

"Julien, perhaps there is something you have overlooked in your endeavors as king."

"About Killi?"

"Your brother loves you dearly, Julien, and he will be loyal until his last breath. That is why he stays away now."

"What have I done to offend him?"

"You are sending his mate to marry another man, and asking him to be the one to give her to him."

"What?"

"He knows there is nothing to be done now, that the alliance is set and the betrothal is all but marriage. And she will not rise against you, either, for the Princess Dulce is your most loyal and true subject, truer than any of your brothers, perhaps truer than your wife, or even me. She will not question you, nor will she disobey you. She will do your bidding with a broken heart and she will love you the same. And so will Killian, only he will need more time to cool his temper."

"Why would he not tell me? Am I not his brother?"

"You are his king first."

"No," Julien argues with a shake of his head. "I am his brother first."