chptr 8

"hey michael, i think you got that question wrong," luke commented casually, twirling a pencil in his hand. i glared up at his smirking face and sighed. there was no point in replying to him, since he didn't even look at my paper and he's only trying to mess with me, so i kept my mouth shut.

"good morning class!" mr. warner exclaimed, clapping his hands together. how could one person be so energetic in the morning?

the class erupted with a chorus of hellos and good mornings, and he smiled brightly at the class, ruffling some papers he held in his hands.

"alright, today i will be assigning you your final project for the semester. you will be working in groups of four, and i will be picking your groups," mr. warner announced, making the class groan in response (a/n: TOLD YOU IT WAS CLICHE CJSKA). he didn't seem to care much as he started naming off the groups.

i was focused on my phone and turned my attention back to the teacher once i heard him call my name.

"michael, lauren, mandy, luke," i groaned quietly when he finished naming off our group. i was stuck with lauren - who had an even bigger obsession with luke than most of the girls at this school, mandy - who was a new girl that no one had ever even heard speak yet, and luke - who i'd rather not explain why i wouldn't want to be in a group with him. i checked my phone one last time, another 40 minutes before biology and then lunch. great.

~

"this could be your chance to finally become friends with him!" ashton said excitedly, while we were walking to the cafeteria. we had been talking about how i got put into a group with luke for our english assignment and had to work with him the whole period. just as i was about to explain to ashton that i'd rather catch a disease than become friends with luke, i heard someone shout my name from behind me.

"michael!"

i turned around to see the person that i had been getting extremely sick of lately.

"what luke?" i asked, a whole crowd of people making way for him as he approached ashton and i.

"i was wondering what time you wanted to come over to my house to work on our project tonight," luke said, giving me a genuine smile. wait, did he actually smile?

ashton nudged me with his elbow but i ignored it, "i'll be there around 7ish."

"try not to bring any extra freakness with you," he said before wondering off in the direction he came from.

"try to have fun at luke's house tonight and don't focus on arguing the entire time," ashton said. i looked up at the cafeteria that was in front of us and pushed the doors open, heading toward the lunch line with ashton close behind me.

"why don't you tell luke that? he's the one that always starts everything," i said, taking an apple and putting it on my tray. "why do you want him and i to become friends so bad in the first place?"

"i, uh, i just think it would be better for everyone if you two got along, you know?" he said, picking up a water bottle.

"i don't think it would make much of a difference," i commented casually, taking out my money and handing it to the lunch lady. ashton and i walked over to our usual table and sat down with our lunches. minutes later, calum approached our table, munching on his half eaten burger.

"uh, mind if i join you guys today?" he asked and started sitting down before either of us could answer. i looked over to where calum usually ate lunch and noticed that luke was missing.

as if on cue, luke walked through the cafeteria doors, eyes landing on our table. he glared at me with dark eyes.

"calum, why are you over here?" he asked, his voice matching his eyes.

"why does it matter luke? afraid we're taking your boyfriend away from you?" i said, causing all three of the boys across me me to look down awkwardly.

"why don't you just sit with us today?" ashton asked, deciding to ignore my comment.

"whatever," luke said, sitting in the seat next to mine.

----

i decided to end it there cause im too lazy to think of dialogue right now so yeah