chptr 14

i woke up on saturday morning with a purple post-it note with my mom's messy handwriting scattered all over it stuck to my forehead.

'got called to a meeting this morning, left some cash on the kitchen counter. maybe invite ashton over? or luke? you two make a good couple.'

oh god, did my mom really just say that? i could feel heat rising to my cheeks, which resulted in a blush. i crumbled up the note and threw it in the trash can before grabbing the $30 my mom left me.

i got out my phone to text ashton if he wanted to hang out. i turned on my phone and saw an ask.fm notification on my screen and choked on whatever saliva was in my mouth. i cautiously unlocked my phone and opened the app.

"hey .."

-anon

"you could've just texted me you know."

"it's more special this way."

-anon

"okay luke."

"who's luke?"

-anon

"you are."

"no, i'm your mystery anon, since you want her back so much."

-anon

"i never said i wanted her back."

"could've fooled me. anyway, back to cute mystery girl. how was your daaay?"

-anon

"i have shit to do."

"does that include talking to mee?"

-anon

"you're annoying."

"i wasn't annoying when i was your mystery girl."

-anon

"that was different."

"how so? it's the same person, just now you know who's behind the messages."

-anon

"you're only a jerk irl."

it's true, he was only a jerk in real life. he had some sort of split personality - an online personality and a face-to-face one. and honestly, i liked the online one better.

~

i ended up walking to the mall alone, and to say the mall was crowded was an understatement. i guess i wasn't the only teenager who decided to come here on a saturday.

i walked around, going in and out of some of the shops. i ended up at a music store where i found a new taylor swift cd. i was too busy looking at the song titles on the back of the album that i wasn't paying attention to where i was going and ended up walking straight into someone. i looked up to see his signature smirk and groaned.

"you're such a stalker, you know that right?" i said to luke while he was looking at me in amusement.

"taylor swift?" he chuckled, pointing to the album in my hand.

i nodded, "yeah, so?"

"calum's kind of obsessed with her, it's annoying."

i laughed softly, "well i should get going."

before i could leave the store, luke grabbed onto my forearm and pulled me back around to face him. i raised an eyebrow at him questioningly and he sighed, removing his hand from my forearm to run it through his hair.

"need any company?" luke asked me, smiling softly.

"no."

"well i do," he grinned, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the store.

i let go of his hand and we started walking side by side. we were so close together that we could've possibly been mistaken as a couple - and i said possibly.

"i want to go in here for a second," luke said when we approached a store.

"toys r us?" i asked in disbelief. i had expected it to be a lingerie shop or something.

he smiled and rubbed the back of his neck, "yeah."

i rolled my eyes, "you're such a child."

"you're a fun ruiner."

~

luke was playing with a hula hoop while i picked up a superhero action figure and examined it.

"and i'm the child?" i heard luke's voice in my ear.

i jumped slightly and turned my head to his face that was dangerously close to mine. i gave him a small smile and shrugged.

"my mom never bought me toys when i was younger," i mumbled to myself more than to luke.

luke's arm reached from behind me and took the box i was holding. i turned around and saw him digging out his wallet from his front pocket.

"luke," i said, eyeing him warily, "what are you doing?"

"buying this for you," he stated as if it was obvious.

"i, um, i realize that," i said and cleared my throat, "but, uh, why?"

"because i'm not the heartless jerk you pin me to be," he responded before he walked towards the cashier.

i snapped out of my shocked trance and made my over to the checkout lane where luke was getting handed a plastic toys r us bag. he smirked as he took his change from the cashier.

"you're .. being nice," i said when we exited the store and he handed me the bag.

he just smirked and shrugged so i continued, "how much was it?"

"why?" he asked, looking at the receipt.

"i'll pay you back."

he laughed, "yeah - no."

"shut up luke."

"shut up luke."

"are you mocking me?"

"shove it up your -"

"hey, hey, there's young kids here," luke interrupted. i rolled my eyes as we continued walking, which ended with me smiling softly.

"hey luke?" i asked before we reached the exit of the mall. he glanced in my direction before looking back ahead.

"uh, yeah?"

"thank you."

----

hey everyone hope you all had a merry christmas and stuff