Chapter 1- The Aether Awakens

It was a cold, gloomy day in London

It was a cold, gloomy day in London. I looked out the window as I sat on the floor in the corner of the living room. My head leaned against the clear glass window while I watched the traffic jam of cars cross the bridge.

For about a year now, I've been staying in a penthouse apartment that S.H.I.E.L.D. helped provide for when I decided to take some time off. Since then, I've done nothing but sit around and stay in bed all day. I rarely go out except when I go out to eat or if I want some fresh air. I never watch TV, and most of the time, I sit on the floor and look out the window.

I still have nightmares about Loki and the invasion. I worry that he will one day return and try to hurt me again. I have to keep reminding myself that Loki is back in Asgard, and there is no way for him to reach me even if he did try to invade Earth again.

I turn away from the window when I hear the phone ring. I sighed as I got up from the floor and walked over to the kitchen counter. I pick up my phone and answer it when I see that Dr. Wilson is calling.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Kaitlyn. It's me. Just calling to check up on you. How is everything?" Dr. Wilson asks.

"Everything's fine. Still trying to adjust to some things, but I'm doing okay." I say.

"Have you been getting any sleep lately? Any  nightmares?" Dr. Wilson asks.

"No. No, nightmares. I did have some a while back, but I did manage to sleep through an entire night last night." I lied.

"Well, that's good. How are you liking London?" Dr. Wilson asks.

I felt terrible for lying to Dr. Wilson because the truth is, I had a horrible night last night. I couldn't sleep after having multiple nightmares about Loki and the invasion. I kept tossing and turning throughout the night, and after getting fed up, I got out of bed and went to sit on the floor in the living room.

"London's great. I'm really liking it here. The people are nice. Food is great. Lots of neat places." I say. I turn my head when I hear someone knocking on the door.

"Who's that?" Dr. Wilson asks.

"Oh, that's probably Will," I say.

"Will? Who's Will?"

"Dr. Wilson, relax. He's just a friend." I say.

"Look, Kaitlyn, I know I'm not your father but, I'm not sure how I feel about inviting some boy inside your apartment when you're alone." Dr. Wilson says.