Chapter 25

An hour later, I sit on Loki's bed, numbly staring at a loose thread in the duvet.

Loki does the same as our friends are out searching, again. My attention pulls from the blanket as the door opens.

Heimdall steps through with a huge smile on his face. Loki looks at him, desperately, before Heimdall turns back and orders "Run to your daddy!"

My heart flutters as Jory runs into the room. Loki and I are off the bed, in an instant.

As Loki slides down to Jory, he grips him to his chest and begins crying, cheerfully.

Jory furrows his brow and asks "Daddy, why do you cry?"

Loki shakes his head, before backing away and smiling at Jory "I just missed you so much!" He wipes his eyes and asks "Where'd you go, babylove?"

Jory shrugs, before declaring "I ran down this hall, and all the sudden, I was on a rock!"

Loki furrows his brow and asks "What do you mean?"

Jory shrugs, before declaring "There was this weird red liquid in the middle of the rocks, so I touched it, and suddenly, I'm back here!" He gives a confused look "I was only gone for a second, dad!"

Loki sniffles and shakes his head, before Odin asks "A red liquid?"

Jory nods in amazement "A glowing red liquid!"

Odin gives a stunned look, before Loki asks "You know what it is?"

Odin steps forward and kneels next to Jory, speaking softly "May I see your arm?"

In confusion, I step forward as Jory holds out his arm. As Odin rolls up Jory's sleeve, I kneel beside him.

Odin runs his fingers down Jory's forearm, causing us to see a vivid purple pumping through his veins.

Odin sighs, before cursing "Damn."

Loki looks to him in concern, before asking "What is it?"

Odin looks to him and declares "Nothing good."

~

As we walk towards the halls, Jory rests his head on Loki's shoulder and speaks, tiredly "Daddy, I hungry."

Loki kisses Jory's forehead, before declaring "We'll get you something, my love." He holds him in his arms, tightly.

A kitchen boy walks past with a basket of fresh fruit and Loki stops him "What do we have in season, Samson?"

Samson motions towards the platter "Peaches, apples, plums, figs, and grapes, your highness." He motions towards the window "Cherries and melon, as well."

Jory looks to Loki, a small smile on his face "Cherries?"

Loki gives a proud smile, before Samson speaks, apologetically "I don't have any on me, your highness, but I can fetch some, if you desire."

Loki is about to say something, before Odin states "That would be appropriated."

Samson bows his head, before Loki asks Jory "Would you like an apple while we wait?"

Jory thinks for a second, before nodding and pointing to the empire apple "That one!"

Loki simply plucks it from the platter, before grabbing a vine of black witch finger grapes. As Samson is about to depart, Loki smiles "Thank you, Samson."

After Samson leaves, I cock an eyebrow to Loki and he furrows his brow "Just because you turn the servants away, doesn't mean I treat them the same."