Chapter 27

I decide to leave Loki alone for the day. Late the following morning, I find he stands with Jory, pointing out his favorite parts of Asgard.

"Personally, I like the tavern." I state as I step towards them. When Loki looks to me in fear, I look to Jory and remind "You're much too young to be in the tavern."

He looks up to me, before asking, sternly "What are you doing?"

I look to him and declare "Just chatting." He takes a deep breath, before I look to Jory "How did you sleep, bud?"

Jory is about to say something, when Loki interrupts "He slept fine!" He narrows his gaze at me, before guiding Jory away.

"Loki?" I ask and he looks back at me with a look of pure rage. I give a weak smile, before declaring "I love him like a son."

"He's not your son!" Loki hisses, before picking up Jory and insist "And as far as I'm concerned, he never will be!"

I'm about to say something, when Loki steps up and gets in my face "He is my son!" He narrows his gaze in pure hatred "Only my son! He's nobodies but mine!"

I'm about to say something, when Frigga walks up to us "What's wrong, darlings? Why are you fighting?"

Loki backs away and looks to the ground, trying to conceal his anger. After a long moment of silence, alarms sound through the kingdom.

Loki looks outward, before Frigga declares "That's the dungeons."

As soon as she says it, Loki looks to Jory "Go with Frigga. Do everything she tells you."

As he hands Jory off, he looks to me "I'll meet you down there."

I give a short nod, before he darts down the hall.

~

As Loki and I run through the halls, after the dark elves invasion, I hear a deep voice curse "WITCH!" Further down the hall."

By the time Loki and I stand in the correct doorway, Frigga lays on the floor. And I do the first thing I can think of.

I bring lighting onto Malakith's face, blackening one side of it, before the cursed flies him away. As I throw Mjonir at them, it hits the cursed shoulder and they seem to disappear over the edge.

As I run towards the opening, I hear Odin gasp in the doorway. As I see the ship fly off, Odin begins to pull Frigga to his chest.

When I hear Jory cry out "Daddy!" I turn just in time to watch Jory lose his childhood.

As he stops in the doorway to tug on Loki's sleeve, he looks over Frigga's corpse.

Loki stands there, eyes glazed. In his shock, all he can do, is stare.

It isn't until Jory screams out in terror that Loki snaps out of it and picks him up, insisting Frigga is merely asleep.

~

Jory and Loki stand, proudly, next to Odin, as the boats are pushed out onto the water.

As the archers ready their arrows, I see Loki's grip tighten on Jory's shoulders.

The moment the ceremony is over, Loki and Jory slip out. Instantly, I follow.

As I follow them, I see Loki pass Jory off to Natasha, before truly disappearing into the crowd.

When I step up to Natasha, I ask Jory "Where's your father going?"

He shrugs, before declaring "He said he's going to bed."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Odin walking towards the castle. In intrest, I follow him.

In the castle, I follow him all the way to Loki's chambers. When he steps in, he accidentally leaves the door ajar.

I can hear Loki's broken sobs, before hearing Odin speak softly "Hush now, child. It'll be alright."

As Loki continues to cry, I hear Odin sigh "Come here." In confusion, I listen closely to hear Odin tell him "Frigga always told me you were an emotional child. That you hide it very well."

As Loki sobs, Odin whispers "I know it's hard, dear boy, losing her. I know you feel like you're completely alone, but you certainly are not."

Loki continues sobbing as Odin insists "Drop the dagger, my son."

Instantly, I start to step in, when Heimdall rests his hand on my shoulder. He speaks very lowly "They need this."

Anxiously, I listen as Odin states "When your babe died, you stabbed yourself to get away from all the pain, but did it truly help?"

When I can't hear a response, Odin continues "With Jormungandr growing this fast, do you truly want to miss a moment with him?"

As Loki tries to gather himself, Odin continues "I know what you're going through, Loki! I've done it, myself!"

In confusion, I look to Heimdall and he places a finger to his lips to silence me. Odin insists "It never helped me."

Odin clarifies "The pain continues, and, when you awaken to find everyone else over it, you force yourself to hide the pain. That's how it works!"

"Dear boy, drop the dagger!" Odin pleads. After a long moment of silence, I hear metal clanging against the floor.

Odin let's out a breath of relief, before I hear him speak, softly "Come here."

I hear them collide, before Odin speaks, softly "It's okay, Loki. It'll be alright."

I can hear Loki sniffling, before Odin sighs "It'll all be okay, my son."

~

The next morning, I walk towards Loki's chambers, only to find the door ajar. The early morning light shines through his stained glass windows and I can hear Jory insist "Tell me about my other father."

Loki takes in a deep breath, before lying "He was the bravest warrior I had ever met. Stood for the common good, protected those who needed protection."

Jory speaks innocently "I wanna be just like father when I grow up!"

Loki speaks halfheartedly "I'm sure you do."

Jory gives a happy giggle, before asking "Was he dashing, daddy?"

Loki takes in a shakey breath, before lying "Very."

Jory continues "And you loved him? He loved you?"

I know it kills Loki to say it, but he lies "We loved each other very much, babe."

"So much that you had me?" Jory asks and Loki hums, tiredly. Finally, Jory asks "When did father die?"

Loki clears his throat and declares "A few months after you were born."

Jory continues by asking "How'd he die?"

Loki sighs, before speaking flatly "He died in battle."

Jory speaks, happily "I wanna be just a warrior like father!"

Loki takes a moment, before speaking downcastedly "I know you do, baby."