Chapter 40

As I check in on Jory, I find Loki sits on the edge of his bed, moving the silky black curls from Jory's face.

He gives me a weak smile, before leaning forward to place a kiss on Jory's forehead.

When he straightens up, he wipes a stray tear from his eye, before trying to step past me. Silently, I lead him into my room. As I shut the door, he sobs out in agony.

I step towards him and rub his arm, softly asking "What's wrong, Loki?"

He shakes his head as he pushes the hair out of his face. As he steps towards the window, I move the hair out of my face and demand "Speak to me!"

He looks to me with tears rolling down his cheek. Tiredly, I towards him and wipe the tear from his cheek. As I rest my hand on his cheek, he tells me "He hates me."

I shake my head, before stating "He'll come around, eventually."

He sniffles and I tell him "He's confused, and he's hurting." He gives me a concerned look and I tell him "He's been hurting since you were taken. And now that you're back..." I sigh, before declaring "He just needs time."

He looks me in the eyes and asks "And you?" I give a soft hum and he asks "Do you need time to adjust to me being here?"

I speak softly, asking "What do you mean?"

He looks up to me and states "You've been staring at me since I got home." He gives a confused look "Why?"

I give a weak smile, before placing my lips to his.

~

The following morning, I wake to find my bed is empty. With a sigh, I roll over into the cold sheets and listen for any noise below.

When I hear Jory's ginormous feet stomping around downstairs, I sit up and look to the mess of clothing on the ground.

All of my decorative belongings are scattered around the room. The thoughts of last night flood my mind and fill me with lust and loathing.

Tiredly, I stand and begin to dress myself. As I pick up the mess, I remember everything that drove me absolutely wild, last night.

Once my room is picked up, I step outside and step towards Loki's room to find he's not there.

Downstairs, I find Jory popping a couple frozen waffles into the toaster "Hey, Sunny. Have you seen your dad?"

He motions towards the door "Noticed him in the stables when I was feed the chickens. Took Nervous Nelly out for a ride."

I furrow my brow and step towards the door. When he follows, I ask "Which direction did he go in?"

He motions towards the trees "I think he was heading for the lake."

As I stride across the yard, he follows me and asks "Where are you going?"

When we reach the stables, I look to him and order "Stay here. I'll be back, soon."

After I hoist myself onto my appaloosa horse, I dart towards the lake.

~

I find Nelly, Loki's pale buckskin, drinking from the lake. When I leave Tyrant next to her, Loki calls from the shade of a nearby tree "What do you want, Thor?"

I look over to find he leans back onto a tree as he sits in the grass, reading a book. I furrow my brow and state "Just wanted to make sure you were alright."

He looks up with a glare, before insisting "I'm fine."

I stand by his feet and cross my arms "You ran out awfully quick last night." I narrow my gaze and remark "Left me there, all by my defenseless self."

He looks down to his book and states "You are all but defenseless, Thor." I hum, before he sighs "I don't want to talk about it."

I squat next to his feet, before stating "I had a good time." He flips the page and continues to read "I know you did, too."

He looks up to me in pure hatred, before insisting "Worst I ever had. Didn't enjoy it, whatsoever."

I give a smug look, before reminding "You came three times and screamed your head off the whole time."

He furrows his brow and states "You took too long."

I furrow my brow and declare "You loved it. You never told me to stop." I reach for his foot and state "In fact, you couldn't even form words."

He kicks my hand away, before declaring "It was a mistake."

I furrow my brow as my lungs crush "Was it now?"

He furrows his brow and looks up to me in hatred "I was emotional. I haven't felt affection in centuries."

He narrows his gaze at me, and I cock an eyebrow to him "Are you serious?" He hums, before I nod and declare "Your son and I are going to celebrate his birthday. Stay here in that self-pity for as long as you want."

He's completely silent as I pull myself back onto Tyrant.

~

By the time Jory and I get back from the shelter with his little boa constrictor, I find Loki has put his door back on it's hinges.

When I walk all the way up the stairs, I find my door is off it's hinges. That's when I realize.

He stole my pins.

In annoyance, I step into his room to find he reads a book. As I take my pins from his door, he rolls his back to me.

I hold the pins in my hand, before insisting "None of us will have doors, now."

When I step out of his room, he declares "I'll just take the ones from the bathroom!"

I scoff at him, before deciding to take the bathroom door off.

Jory stomps up the stairs and hisses "I have to use the restroom!"

After a moment of thought, I open the linen closet and pull a couple of curtains from the closet.

In a few minutes, I hang the drapes and continue on removing doors.