Chapter 29

As I pull Loki into my lap, he screeches out in pain and balls his hands in front of his wound. As his skin slips to a veiny grey, he looks to me and pleads "Take care of Jory. Take ca-"

I shake my head and insist "You're not dying!"

He shakes his head and I call out "Heimdall!"

Jory's lip quivers as Loki reaches out for him. When Loki rest his hand to his cheek, he smiles as a tear slips down the side of his face "I'll always love you."

"Heimdall!" I scream out as Jory begins to cry. Loki groans, and I look back to him as the bifrost pulls us up.

When we reach the bifrost, I try to pull Loki towards the castle, only he insists "Stop!"

The Avengers start towards us as I pause. Darcy calls out "What happened?"

"He was impaled." I state, trying to lead him to the castle "Saving me."

"There's a splinter in my heart." He speaks faintly, before shoving off of me and landing on the floor.

As I try to help him up, he waves me off, before digging into his wound. Instantly, I cover Jory's eyes.

Five seconds later, Loki tosses a three inch stick across the floor and rolls onto his back, desperately trying to catch his breath.

He looks to me after a moment and insists "Go save the fucking universe. I'll be fine." He takes in a deep breath, before declaring "Just need a lay down, is all."

I hand Jory over to Heimdall, before looking to Banner and Stark "Watch him. I'll be back."

As the rest of us step up to the bifrost, I hear Stark sigh "You'll be alright, teen mom."

Loki takes in a couple of deep breaths, before remarking "Pop off, arsehole."

~

When I get back with the Æther, l find Loki is gone "Where is he?" I ask Heimdall.

Heimdall looks up from Jory and declares "He was moved to his chambers by Stark and Banner."

I give a short nod, before starting down the bifrost.

When I reach Loki's chambers, I fin him slumped over his washing table. Both Stark and Banner stand nearby, carefully watching him to insure he doesn't collapse.

His vest, shirt, and armor, lay on the floor around him. Banner looks to me and declares "We tried to get him to stay put, but he refused."

A three centimeter wide hole pierces through his chest. His torture scars are nearly blue against his grey skin.

He glances back to me in the mirror, before asking "Did you kill him?"

I nod, before holding up the Æther "Any idea on what to do with this?" He looks down to his chest, before forcing himself to stand.

He simply covers his wound with his hand, before turning to me and putting on the charade "Leave it and I'll find a place for it."

I give a short nod, before sitting it down and asking "How are you feeling?"

He nods, before declaring "I'm doing pretty good."

I give a smug smirk "Are you ready to go back to Midgard?"

He hides the pain and insists "I've got a couple of loose ends to tie up, before I can go."

I hum, before declaring "You could just say you're hurting."

He grits his teeth, before admitting "I'm going to need a few hours, before I can travel." He pats his chest, before clarifying "My body needs time to regenerate."

I hum, before asking "Are you in pain?"

He gives me a knowing look, before turning back towards his washing table "In case you forgot, I've been impaled."

I furrow my brow and ask "That makes it thrice, now, doesn't it?"

"Six times." He states, before clarifying "You forget that once in Alfheim."

I sigh, before stepping towards him "That's right. The time you impaled yourself to get into the light elves infirmary to assassinate the leader of the stone giants."

He furrows his brow and remarks "I seem to remember a different century. I was referring to the day I was impaled, because I trusted you to have my back."

I hum, before asking "Was that before or after you impaled yourself with a dagger for the first time?"

"Before." He states, flatty, before remarking "I see you jumping over the point."

I raise my hands in surrender, before admitting "There was some stupidity on my part."

He scoffs, before arching in pain. After a long moment, he looks to Banner and Stark, before asking us for a "Moment to privacy."

When Banner and Stark ask for permission, I motion them out, before declaring "I'll be right outside."

As I step out, I leave the door ajar, before I hear him call "Shut the door."

I furrow my brow and ask "Why?"

"Shut it." He demands, before glancing my way.

When I shut it, I step away as Banner asks "How did it go?"

I furrow my brow and ask "Did you not see the convergence?"

He shrugs, before declaring "Just making conversation."

"What do you think he's doing in there?" Stark asks.

I shrug, before declaring "He's probably trying to heal himse-"

Loki steps out, fully dress, and snow white. I give a confused look and he insists "I just pulled a splinter out of my gallbladder." He pats his stomach, before declaring "It's all healed up."

I give confused look and he asks "Will you watch over Jory while I hide the Æther?"

I nod, obediently, before we walks past "Where are you hiding it?"

He gives me a smug smirk "If I told you where it was, it wouldn't be hidden, now, would it?"

I press my lips into a fine line as he walks away. I look to Stark and Banner and ask "Is it just me, or was that suspicious?"

Banner nods, and Stark scoffs at me with his eyebrow cocked "It was suspicious the moment he told us to leave the room."