9 ❥ Angel

Ryk

      I push through countless trees, unable to suppress my speed as I rumble through the forest. I don't register the branches whipping at my face, or the cold of the snow under my paw pads.

     The scent. That maddening scent. I have to find it.

     My mate is here, all along she was here in the middle of this pack where I could've found her. I was only a few miles away from my home and I never even knew it.

     I forget about my master, she doesn't chain me down anymore with her twisted words, I have a new queen that will forever keep me by her side. I just have to find her first.

     Another breeze picks up, and the aroma comes with it. Along with a pained call, and I know who shouted, it's like she's calling for me.

     My mate. She's in pain.

     I didn't even consider that this attack could harm her. If I'd known, maybe I would have been able to stop it. How was I to know? I thought that the Moon Goddess had given up on me. I thought I didn't deserve a mate. Deep down, I know I wouldn't have been able to change anything. I was under The Red Alpha's painful grasp, but that's all gone with the wind.

      But it seems like finding her was all I needed all along. As soon as I smelled her I was freed. It's a miracle.

     I continue to sprint, thinking that this forest might just be endless. There's no end in sight, until there is. I break through the tree line, not stopping to look around, but choosing to follow my nose mindlessly. There's a large group of werewolves in the middle of the field, and they all go still when they see me running their way. I scan the crowd, looking for her, the keeper of my soul. She whines, and I charge faster.

      She's tiny, and she's captured. A larger, beefier werewolf rogue has her by the neck. Her dark red blood stains her light blonde fur, and her panic stricken eyes are absolutely hopeless. I have to get to her before she's gone.

      When I reach her attacker, I don't waste time. I grab him, my jaw locking down as my teethe slice through his ribs like butter. He lets out a howl as he drops my tiny mate. I lift him, snarling while I crush him with one bite. Blood fills my mouth. There's crunching and splashing sounds filling the air as the rogue meets his demise. I drop the bloody corpse to the ground, satisfied.

     I sense the unease of the rogues and the Green Pack. No one expected this, least of all me.

     The little blonde wolf between my paws stares up at me like she doesn't know what to do. Her legs move backwards, taking her farther away from me. I growl, quickly turning into roar that leaves my jaws like a thunder clap.

     I've waited to find her for decades, and she's scared of me. Not that I blame her, I doubt that I'm exactly an appealing sight right now. I'm covered in blood, and I just dropped a crumpled wolf at her side. But, in my defense, it is a sign of my protection for her.

     I'm furious. I'll have to channel my anger elsewhere, and I'll prove to her that I will kill anyone that comes near her in order to protect her.

     I find another rogue standing nearby and make quick work of him too, ending his life with another click of my teeth.

     I grab another, and once it's fur hits my tongue, the rogues tuck tail. They bolt for the woods in retreat. They know they can't fight me, and it's clear that I've changed sides. My allegiance is no longer to them, and they're scared, as they should be. I will kill every single one of them that remains within sight of my precious mate.