after

5 months later

Tressandra was in utter awe. Despite the pain and misery she was going through only moments ago, it disappeared in seconds when her son was placed in her arms.

His upset was also forgotten, when his mother reached out to stroke his cheek, he stopped crying.

Ryk, on the other hand, was still a bit agitated. He was more scarred by the incident of childbirth than the mother of his child. Of course he was elated to see his son born healthy, but he also hated watching his beautiful mate endure hours of torture to bring him into the world.

He decided it would be a while before he touched her, he didn't want her to have another pup for a long, long time.

"Oh, he's so perfect." Tressandra sniffled, touching the white hair on the top of his little head and grinning wide when he blinked open his eyes. They were the same shade of blue as hers.

Ryk leaned over them protectively, already smitten with his new child. The little boy was large for a newborn, and he was tough. He moved a lot in the womb, and he moved a lot now. The proud father assumed he was just trying to prove his strength for his young age.

The albino lycan slithered an arm around his mate's shoulders, his other hand taking hers and squeezing her fingers hard.

"You are so strong, my sweet angel. Only you could be determined enough to get this stubborn child out." He praised her, looking at her as if she was the only person on the planet.

"He's strong too. Broke one of my ribs." She muses, glancing up at her mate with humor.

Ryk frowned. He hated being reminded of that night only a few weeks ago.

His exceptional hearing allowed him to hear the exact moment their pup kicked upwards, the bone he came into contact with had snapped, and cracked in two places. His poor mate hissed in pain, but didn't complain. She was already awake from how active the baby was.

Thankfully, the rib healed fast, but Ryk's sanity took a hit. He was up all night a lot of times, watching over Tressandra with a ferocity that concerned her. She assured him there was nothing he could do. She was right, he agreed, but it didn't mean he wouldn't at least try.

But he'd never been more helpless than when she went into labor last night. Her pain was his pain. Watching her groan in agony was awful. He hated every second of it. He would take the pain on himself without a second thought if the option were there.

Now, it was over. And they had a baby boy. He was blinking up at them curiously, trying to see through the bright light above him.

"He's just like his Daddy, isn't that right?" Tressandra doted on her infant, happy to see that he resembled her mate so much already. From his strong nature even in the womb to his snowy hair. The boy was lucky to take after his Father.

Ryk shook his head.

"He's much too small to take after me yet. How can you even tell?" He sounded amused as he continued to stroke his mate's arm, staring down at his family.

A family, he had a family. Ryk could hardly believe it. After every day of hardship, every time where he felt completely worthless and evil and undeserving of love and happiness, now he had a family to take care of.

A mate that was loving and thoughtful and strong beyond words, and a precious newborn son that would learn and grow under their protection and love. Ryk didn't understand how he came from a place so dark and cold and lifeless, and somehow ended up in heaven.

Tressandra snuggled their pup close to her, leaning down to nuzzle his rounded cheek. Ryk noticed the tears that ran down her face, and he wiped them away.

The crying was because Tressandra felt very similarly to Ryk. She grew up in hell, and now everything has changed for the better. She realized in that perfect moment that it was all worth it to get here. She didn't have to be afraid anymore. She could relax and be happy, and give love unconditionally. There was no more fear.

They both had rocky starts, the universe putting them at a disadvantage. Ryk and Tressandra found their way to each other, and that blink of an eye in time brought them to great places. It led them to joy.

United, they both silently acknowledged the fact that they could do anything as long as they were together. And it was true.

Nothing can defeat someone who has experienced their worst and conquered it with the strongest thing in the universe.

Love.

"What should we name him?" Ryk finally rasped after a long moment of sheer silence as they soaked in their new, amazing reality.

Tressandra pulled the blanket back a little bit to get a better look at their son. They had several names picked out, both boy and girl names since they didn't know the gender yet.

All the names seemed like they weren't good enough now. She had to get more creative to have a name that was fit for her son. So, she sat there in their bed, mulling over every possible route as Ryk stayed silent.

It was tradition in the shifter community to let the female giving birth to choose the name for the pup. Of course, their mate had to agree, but it was typically the honor of the one bearing the child.

"You know, I have an Aunt named Emilia, and she's so inspiring to me. She's always been so kind to me. She travels the world, and she says that her favorite place to visit is Rome. She talks about that city like it's a dream. Have you ever been there?" Tressandra wondered, glancing up at Ryk with curious eyes.

The lycan grinned, nodding his head.

"Yes, a few times." He replied.

"Is it as great as they say?" She pressed.

Ryk laughed, seeing where she was going with this and loving it.

"Yes, it is an amazing city."

Tressandra grinned, glancing back to the wriggling baby in her arms. She rocked him lightly as she decided what he would be called for the rest of his life.

"Then that settles it. We'll name him Rome."

In response, the little boy squealed a cry. It was likely a coincidence, but the parents didn't see it that way. They viewed it as an adorable sign that he loved the name.

And so, Ryk, Rome, and Tressandra spent the day in bed, growing closer and closer as the perfect little family. It was a moment in time that the mates would never forget.

✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥ ✄❥

     If you're reading this, you're worth it:)

Thank you all so much for reading this spin- off Novella! It means the world to me that you stuck around to hear Tressandra and Ryk's story. They are a couple that is very close to my heart

Don't forget to vote, and comment what you thought of the book! Feel free to check out the rest of the series. Book 3 will be announced shortly:)