Episode 1: Impact

Hey, my name is Y/n Robinson. My family and I are currently sitting strapped in and suited up in the hub of our Jupiter, Jupiter two, as the song 'Drift Away' plays on the radio and we play a game of Go Fish in zero gravity.

"Three, three, three..." John, my half-brother, counts as he deals the playing cards. "Four, four, four..." He continues, "Five, five, five..." He finishes finally.

"Okay. Everyone remember the rules?" John asks once everyone has their cards.

Nobody responds until Maureen, my sister in law, breaks the brief silence.

"Are you sure this is the best idea?" She asks John.

John sighs. "What else are we gonna do?"

I nod sideways slightly in agreement.

Maureen is silent for a moment before speaking. "Okay, have you got any eights?" Maureen asks John, starting the game.

"Uh... Go fish." John answers as he bumps the floating deck of cards, that are held together by a trusty rubber band, to Maureen and she draws a card.

"Hey," John calls to Will, my nephew, who is lost in thought, "it's your turn." He reminds him.

Will looks at his father for a moment before looking down at his cards, "Uh, um... Do you have any threes?" He asks his father.

"Go fish." John says and Maureen pushes the deck of cards Will's way then he draws.

"Okay. Do you have any-" Penny, my niece, starts before getting cut off by my oldest niece, Judy.

"The Resolute made twenty-three routine trips. So what happened to ours?" She asks, referring to the evacuation that we still don't know the cause of.

"There's no use in speculating." Maureen answers as a computer beep echoes after.

"Completing de-orbit burn." An automated voice announces.

We all put our cards down on the table and put our helmets on when my brother orders us to.

"Begin enters phase in thirty seconds." The computer says.

Penny sighs, "Okay. Um, it's still my turn." She looks to Will, but when she looks closer, she notices the reflection on his helmet and sees his cards. "Do you have any nines?"

"Seriously, Penny?" Judy asks irritably when she catches her sister cheating.

"What?" Penny asks, feigning fake innocence.

"Did you see my hand?" Will asks, annoyed.

"You count cards." Penny excuses to hide her actions.

"I don't know why everyone doesn't." Will responds.

"Okay, can I have my nine, please?" Penny asks, holding her hand out impatiently.

Will defeatedly pulls the nine of of his clip and sends it to Penny. Before it can reach her though, the ship starts rumbling and gravity comes back, causing the card to fall.

"Music off." The computer says. "Atmospheric disturbance detected."

"Deep breaths. Remember your training." John soothes.

"The computer will land us just fine. That's what it's for." Maureen reassures.

Everyone inhales before letting it out.

I look up and see some debris from... something flying over us. Suddenly we are hit by a larger piece of debris and the Jupiter starts rumbling.

"Impact detected." The computer says.