Episode 7: Evolution

Penny and I sit inside the med bay of the Jupiter we are staying in with blankets wrapped around us. John lays on the bed while Judy fixes him up.

"How's that feel?" Judy asks as she treats the wound on John's side with some kind of machine.

"Uh, it tingles." John says.

"Good. It means the fibroblasts are active." Says Judy.

"Gross." Penny says.

"No, it's good. It means it's working." Says Judy.

"Still gross." Penny mumbles.

Judy puts the machine down and helps John sit up.

"It's good to be back together again, huh?" John says weakly.

"Yeah." Penny smiles and hugs her father along with Judy.

"Glad you're safe, kiddo." John says to Penny.

"You too, Dad." Penny says.

John groans.

"Oh, this hug must really hurt, huh?" Penny says and Judy and I laugh.

"Yeah. It hurts." John says, his voiced strained. The girls let go. "So, I saw Dr. Smith being treated earlier. Which is strange because she wasn't being arrested."

"Yeah, I think she's turning over a new leaf." Penny says.

"Well, she can turn over as many new leafs as she wants, the tree is still rotten." Judy says as she throws some stuff away.

"She saved Mr. Jackson's life like a real doctor. Aunt Y/n was even there to see it." Penny says and John looks at me.

I nod. "She did do that. But she hasn't served any time for her crimes, so she should still be in jail."

"Well, we got bigger problems than Dr. Smith." John says as he puts his flannel on and stands up.

"Uh, hey! Where are you going?" Judy turns and asks.

John sighs. "I was sent down to that planet to do a job, and that job's not done." He leaves the med bay.

...

I decided to visit Don. As I approach I see a crumpled paper being thrown out the door. I pick it up and read it.

"It's a... a lot of customers you still owe." I say.

"Former customers, now it's just people I have to hide from." Don says.

"Hm... even though you saved my niece and I?" I ask.

Don sighs. "Former customers don't really care about that."

"You know, Judy told me once we get to Alpha Centauri, everyone will hear about your heroism and all will be forgiven. I say that they'll take it into consideration and maybe your sentence will be reduced." I say.

"Yeah. Maybe. If we get there." Don looks down.

"Well, Maureen and Will are coming back with the robot, so we're gonna get there."

"You know, you might want to share some of that optimism with your brother."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, the whole thing on the bridge. What they heard, and-" He sees the confusion in my features. "He didn't tell you that?"

"Tell me what?"

"Oh... you know, it might be a brother-sister type conversation."

"Don."