Episode 9: Shell Game

Judy is in the med bay treating Don and I when Maureen's panicked voice comes through her radio.

"Judy, come in!" She says.

Judy stops what she's doing to answer her mom. "Uh, hey, Mom, is everything okay?" She asks.

"Judy, listen to me. Your dad and I are stranded." Maureen says.

"What?" Judy asks.

"Don't talk, just listen. We are in two maintenance pods. We're drifting from the Resolute at a separating speed of forty arc minutes per second. At that speed there's no way we can possibly catch you, but the Resolute has to finish its orbit a ound the pl_net bef_re it c_n exi_ t_e at_osph_re, so..." Maureen breaks up and Judy loses signal before Maureen can finish her sentence.

Judy tried tapping her comm and bringing it closer to see if she can understand what her mother is telling her.

"Uh, you're- you're breaking up, Mom. I'm losing you." Judy says with furrowed brows.

"Hey, Jude. J_dy, l_sten to me." John comes through. "W_'re al_ost out of range. Find y_ur brother and s_ster. F_ll th_m in. Te_l th_m to st_y aw_y fr_m Hastings, o_ay?"

"Dad? Dad I'm losing you." Judy says as they lose connection. "Dad!"

Don uncovers his face from the ventilator and lifts his head. "Is something wrong?" He asks Judy. Judy gives him a troubled look. "Of course there is." Don lets his head back to where it was. "I don't even know why I ask anymore."

"Will? Uh, Penny?" Judy calls into her radio. She swallows. "Where are you guys?"

Nobody answers.

Suddenly a voice comes through the PA radio.

"Attention colonists: This is Ben Adler, Director of Advanced Systems onboard the Resolute. This message is to alert you to the actions of one of your fellow colonists, Will Robinson. We have video evidence of him removing from the engine room a piece of equipment that is vital to the completion of our journey to Alpha Centauri. This action was taken without the regard of the future safety of you or your loved ones. With that in mind, we request that if you see him or the robot he controls, you report their whereabouts to security personnel immediately. And Will, if you can hear me... I know you think you're doing the right thing, but there are other ways to handle this. Don't let this go any further than it already has."

I sigh into my oxygen mask. Will, what are you up to?

Judy leaves the med bay. Probably in search of her siblings.

"Why does everything happen to us?" I mumble.

"Yeah. I should probably stop hanging out with you guys." Don jokes.

I chuckle and slap his arm weakly. He chuckles too.  He reaches his hand out and I take it. He smiles at me and I smile back.

...

For some reason dozens of guards start guarding the med bay from something or someone. What are those kids doing?

I start worrying. With a groan, I get up and attempt to leave, but the guards stop me. They won't tell me why.

I lay back on my bed with my nerves jumping as my mind races.

Please be safe.

*550 words.