Episode 4: Scarecrow

"While the whole world was led to believe that we had suffered from a natural disaster, there were a few of us that knew the truth: that this disaster was anything but 'natural.'" Adler tells us.

"The crashed alien ship." Maureen speaks.

"Not just a ship... a pilot." Adler corrects.

We watch as a team of soldiers contain Scarecrow in some kind of metal box.

"Are you telling me that thing... has been flying the Resolute?" Maureen asks.

"In a manner of speaking." Adler confirms.

I sigh as they use some kind of machine to calm Scarecrow down.

"Secure." A man calls out.

"Before we go in, perhaps we should invite your son to join us." Adler suggests.

"Will?" I ask.

"We've been struggling to re-establish a connection with Scarecrow." Adler explains. "From what I've heard, Will has a unique-"

"Will is fine where he is." Maureen cuts in.

"I'm afraid Ben's getting a little ahead of himself." A man joins us. "Hastings."

Hastings shakes our hands, but for some reason I really don't have a good feeling about this guy.

"You were CC'd on the classified emails during the build." Maureen points out. "I always wondered what you were in charge of."

"Ready to find out?" Hastings asks with a smirk.

He opens the door that separates us from the team detaining Scarecrow and walks in. We follow.

"I'm trusting you with this information. Please don't share it." Hastings says.

The lights come on to reveal some kind of circle that looks to be a bit taller than the robot. In fact, it seems like the perfect height for him to fit in. There was a spot on the furthest wall that looks like it's missing something. It looks oddly like the alien engine that is in our Jupiter's garage as we speak.

"The real Christmas star." Hastings states. "Able to travel across galaxies at speeds we couldn't even dream of. First, we thought we could reverse engineer their technology, but we were like Cro-Magnons trying to rebuild an air plain when we hadn't even discovered fire."

Maureen climbs up to the circle and examines it with recognition in her eyes.

"So you built the Resolute around the crashes ship?" I ask as a rhetorical question.

"I found Scarecrow right there. Right where Maureen is standing. Still in the process of navigating." Adler states. "It was badly damaged, as you can see, but I was able to communicate with him, in a rudimentary way, and get him to take us where we wanted to go."

"The robot is like a key. Without the key, the engine won't start." Hastings says and we look towards the missing engine space on the wall.

"But you don't have an engine anymore." Maureen says.

"The second robot, the one that commandeered our ship and brought us here, it took it." Hastings explains.

Maureen, John, and I all look at each other, knowing we have an engine.

"If you had another engine, could you get us all to Alpha Centauri?" Maureen asks.

"Another one?" Asks Adler.

...

We showed them to our Jupiter and told them we had an alien engine in the garage. Now they have absolutely everything covered in plastic and we have to stay in another Jupiter.