Part 4

You really do like shiny things. Is that why you had that kind of pouch?

Just as a crow gathers twinkling things in the nest, she burrows her pouches in the back of Garnett palace. I suddenly lose heart when I thought of it.

"I have your jewel pouch from that day."

Well in fact, what he have wasn't just the pouches that the child had dropped in front of the statue the other day, but he decided not to reveal it yet.

"I took charge of your treasures, so come and collect it next time."

With only these words the child's eyes was shook with embarrassment.

Claude took his eyes off the child and viewed the lake with bored eyes. The calm waters of the lake were dull and peaceful.

A penitentiary.

Then at one point, the child who was observing his face from every angle for a while became interested in the flowers of the lake. Claude knew what the flower was.

It was a magical creature that carried pollen into the air. When prey approached, it winds around the root parts of the long vine to absorb all the food.

I don't remember how many generations ago the magical creatures started to grow inside the palace, but I was told it was a quirky hobby of one of the emperors.

Claude saw the child's eyes, which had just been full of life, now lost and blurred. Perhaps because of her weak immune system, she easily found herself fascinated by the scent of the wind-borne flowers.

Dazed

After a while the child followed the source of the scent and moved to the edge of the ship. The mana-driven ship was supposed to move in the direction that the occupants wanted to move.

The ship began to slowly slide into the place where the magical creatures were concentrated, following the child's wishes. Claude watched the scene calmly.

I couldn't even tell myself what she was thinking.

Only one thing was clear: at that moment, he had a 'killing intent' that is directed to the child.

But there's nothing strange about that, isn't there? Four years ago, he had already made up his mind to kill this child in front of him.

Then the little hands finally touched the transparent petals.

A gust of wind!

The body that was leaning forward was pushed into the lake.

"Oh, Pooh!"

Claude stared at the drowning child. His eyes were just as cold and still as the freezing ice of the abyss.

'Save me.'

The child managed to open her mouth and begged pitifully, but there was still no agitation in Claude's eyes.

It was at that moment that the look of despair was apparent in the child's eyes. The wet eyes completely extinguished of light for a moment, as if she had noticed Claude would not save her.

Snap..snap..

The grumbling gradually subsided.

But it wasn't until then that the incident started to soften Claude's heart.

Splash....

The calm eyes, which had not been agitated, spread a shallow current.

Thump thump. It seemed like someone was beating his heart, which had been frozen and secured to the depths of the unknown. I had a splitting headache again. But this time, he didn't turn his head.