Chapter III

"Katrina? Katrina, wake up."

Katrina groaned, feeling someone shake her shoulder. She opened her eyes to see Blythe looking at her.

"It's your turn to take watch now," she said, before jumping nimbly out of the tree.

Katrina stretched and clambered down, taking her blanket with her. She sat down at the base of the tree, watching her comrades sleep around her.

As the sun rose, it chased away the shadows, revealing things that weren't so obvious a couple of minutes ago. There were wild animals here. Katrina could see rabbits peeking out of the grass and deer grazing nearby. It was truly beautiful.

Soon, everyone started waking up due to the bright sunlight. Dean snatched his bag, which he was using as a pillow, and grabbed a loaf of bread from inside. He split it into even parts and threw them to everyone. Katrina nibbled on her piece as everyone got ready to continue their journey to the south of the area, where the city was.

"Everyone ready?" Dean asked. Without waiting for a reply, he stood up and started leading the way to the city, Blythe right on his heels. The two chatted endlessly as Katrina decided to hang back. She cornered Derrick.

"Look, I know that we weren't the best of friends before-" Katrina stopped as Derrick let out a snort, "However, we need to let the past be the past and work together. We both have a common enemy: The Experiment. We need to work together to survive this and bickering and fighting won't help anyone."

"You really want to work together?" he asked.

"Of course I don't. The only reason I'm putting up with you is because of the Experiment," she replied matter-of-factly.

Derrick considered her words and finally gave a short, curt nod. He hung back as Katrina rejoined the group.

Katrina moved to the front where Dean and Blythe were still chattering away, wanting to catch a glimpse of the city.

A small pop! suddenly rang through the air as a boy materialized in front of them.

He was about fifteen years of age and had sweeping brown hair and bright green eyes. His ability must've been teleportation, based on the way he just appeared before them.

"Wyne? What are you doing here?" Dean asked.

"It kind of hit me that I could just teleport you guys directly to the city and spare you the hike," he shrugged. "Sorry for not thinking of it sooner."

"It's fine," Dean said. "You're here now, that's all that matters."

"Hey, can't you just teleport out of the Experiment?" a kid called out.

"I wish," Wyne replied glumly. "That was the first thing I tried. The architects of this place must've added a thing that prevents teleporters from getting out."

Katrina was disappointed. If he could teleport out, he could potentially become the first person to ever leave the Experiment alive and help the others escape, too.

Dean had everyone line up so that Wyne could teleport them to the city.

"Katrina, can you be last? I want to make sure that everyone gets there safely," Dean asked. Katrina nodded.

She watched as Wyne teleported everyone there one by one, starting with Dean. Each time he came back, he looked more and more exhausted and tired. By the time only Katrina, Derrick, and Blythe were left, Wyne looked ready to fall down.

"Woah, you okay?" Katrina asked, concerned, as he turned a pale shade of green.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he replied, before grabbing Derrick's wrist and teleporting off. A minute later, he came back, barely standing.