Chapter XIII

Teleporting in a beam of light felt strangely similar to burning up from the inside out. When they arrived at the scientists' base, it felt like being dosed with a bucket of icy water.

"Where are we?" Katrina asked. They were in a bustling lobby with a beam of white light identical to the one back in the arena behind them. Scientists were stepping out of the light every couple of seconds, barely giving the two of them a second glance as they headed towards a security checkpoint.

Celia grinned at Katrina. "Welcome to the Lab." Celia headed towards the checkpoint along with everyone else and Katrina hurried to keep up, not wanting to get lost in the maze of scientists.

They filed into line and waited, shuffling forwards slowly. As they reached the front of the line, the guard held out his hand.

"Identification?"

Celia pulled her necklace off and handed it to the guard. As the guard scanned it, Celia told Katrina, "That necklace doubles as identification. When you get yours, use it whenever anyone need to identify you, or when you need to get through locked doors."

Katrina nodded as Celia was returned her necklace. She snapped it back onto her neck magnetically as the guard looked at Katrina expectantly.

As Katrina stammered for words, Celia came to the rescue. "Katrina York, Deviant in Arena 6. She's been chosen as the new AD."

The guard quickly entered the information into the database, verifying the accuracy of Celia's words. A moment later, he nodded, waving them on.

Celia grabbed Katrina's wrist and dragged her past the guard, where scientists were milling about. The two of them headed towards an elevator, squeezing in along with a couple other people. In a few moments, they were zooming up.

"Where are we going?" Katrina asked.

As the elevator dinged, opening its doors, Celia replied. "We're going to meet the scientists in charge of Arena 6, in other words, the scientists in charge of us."

Celia took Katrina down a couple of hallways before finally stopping in front of a door with the number six. She ripped off her necklace once again and waved it in front of a black panel next to the door. A second later, there was a whirring sound and the door opened.

Katrina gasped as she caught a glimpse of the inside. There were large screens on all sides, making Katrina feel like she was back inside the arena. Scientists were running about, talking to each other.

"Miss Hall!" Celia shouted gleefully, gesturing at a young woman. The scientist came hurrying over, her light brown ponytail swinging in the air.

The woman grinned, her smile lighting up her face as her eyes met Katrina's.

"Miss York! It's a pleasure to finally meet you," she chirped, shaking her hand enthusiastically, surprising Katrina with her friendliness. "I'm Anabelle Hall. You'll fit in wonderfully with the rest of us!"

"Hold back on the greetings," Celia warned. "Miss York is probably quite exhausted and confused over the events that happened."

Hall nodded dutifully. "Of course. Follow me, please." Hall went striding away as Celia and Katrina scrambled to follow her.

The three of them went into a small room with only a desk and a couple of chairs. As Katrina and Celia sank onto the seats, Hall grabbed a couple of items out of her desk. Dragging a chair to the opposite side of Katrina and Celia, Katrina felt intimidated, much like she was being interrogated.

Hall slid one of the items across the desk towards Katrina. She picked it up, finding herself holding a round, silver necklace identical to the one on Celia's neck, except for the design on the pendant. Instead of a map of the arena, hers depicted a scythe.