Chapter XIV

As the sun rose, waking Katrina up from her light slumber, she blinked in surprise. Shaking her head wildly to clear her head of the crazy dream she had last night, Katrina stood up, walking outside to stretch.

Suddenly, a beam of light caught something shiny hanging on her neck. Katrina froze, realization dawning on her as she caught sight of the silver pendant. It wasn't a dream.

"Katrina?"

She spun around, hastily tucking the pendant under her shirt, out of sight.

"Yes, Ted?" she replied nervously, looking like a deer caught in headlights. Katrina wondered whether Ted remembered how he had tried to sneak out after her, and how Celia had drugged him.

"Could I talk to you, please?" Ted asked.

Katrina was spared the need to reply when Celia sleepily exited her hut, yawning. Her eyes seemed to brighten momentarily as she caught sight of the two early birds talking, before returning normal.

"Hey Ted, hey Katrina," she said, acknowledging their presence. "You guys wanna go out on a walk?"

Ted shook his head slowly, looking at her suspiciously. "No, Katrina and I were just going to have a talk." He grabbed her elbow and quickly dragged her away, causing Katrina to stumble a bit before she regained her balance.

"Sure!" Celia skipped along behind them, screeching to a stop when Ted whirled around and glared at her.

"Alone," he elaborated, giving her the death stare.

"Okay, okay, you don't have to do that," Celia alarmingly replied, holding up her hands and backing up slowly. "Geez."

As Ted angrily led Katrina away, she jumped slightly as Celia's voice entered her ears.

"Don't say anything stupid," she ordered. "Remember, if you don't cooperate with the scientists, you could find a couple of dead friends in the near future."

Katrina shuddered at the threat, glancing at Ted's stormy face to confirm that he had heard nothing that the pendant had relayed to her.

In a few moments, Ted stopped suddenly, nearly making Katrina crash into him. He looked at her, crossing his arms and tapping his foot impatiently.

"Yesterday."

Ted didn't say anything else as he waited for her to reply. Katrina glared at him right back, unwilling to speak. Finally, Ted broke the silence.

"Why did you sneak off?" he demanded. "And why did Celia drug me?"

Katrina squirmed, looking at the ground. "Uh, you sure it wasn't a dream?"

Ted glared at her. "You know something that I don't. Spill."

It wasn't a request. Katrina hesitated before replying. "It's a long story."

Ted leaned back, raising his eyebrows. "It's a good thing that I have time, then."

"You wouldn't understand," Katrina insisted.

Ted glared at her. "Try me."

Katrina's head spun, looking for a reasonable answer, before deciding to go with the truth. "I can't tell you."

"Is there a reason for that?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

Katrina pursed her lips, hating to have to utter the dreaded words. "The raven caws and the owl flies."

Ted nodded slowly, realization dawning on him. "I see."

At a young age, Katrina and Ted had made up a couple of code words for them to use. "The raven caws" meant that one or both of their lives were in danger, and "the owl flies" meant that Katrina could not safely tell Ted anything.