Chapter IX

"Derrick will do community service until I decide that he has done enough."

"What? You've got to be kidding me!" Ted yelled. "You know what his crimes are-"

"Yes," Dean said, "but he deserves a second chance. People can change."

The crowd started protesting, each fearing to be the next victim of Derrick's pain.

Stop! Dean yelled using telepathy.

"Derrick will be doing community service. Period. End of discussion," he declared. "Katrina, release him from his box."

"What? You want me to release him? Are you crazy?" Katrina screeched.

"Now," he hissed.

"No," she declared simply. "I refuse." She stood up straight and tall, looking at Dean in the eyes.

"Derrick is a dangerous criminal, and I don't care what you say. I am not going to release him."

Wyne and Ted moved to her side, supporting her decision. Blythe, on the other hand, glared at her, edging away. Celia, along with everyone else, swayed with indecision.

Dean glowered at her for another second. "I'm afraid you leave me no choice," he sighed. "Julian, come here." A nasty-looking boy stepped forwards, smirking.

"You know what I want you to do," Dean said. Julian nodded and grinned.

He raised his arms, and suddenly, Katrina found that she could no longer move nor use her powers. She was under Julian's control and was now a prisoner inside her own body.

"I'm sorry," Dean apologized, his voice void of any emotion. "I have to do this."

Julian forced Katrina to release Derrick from his box and he walked out of the hut, leering at her. He stretched and used his ability on Katrina, causing her body to erupt in pain. She wanted to scream, but couldn't, so she settled for a glare instead.

"Julian, take her to a tree and tie her up," Dean ordered. "Derrick, you go build a prison. Make it out of clay and make sure that she can't escape from it."

"Wait, what?" Ted yelled. "That is so unfair!"

"You can't do that to her!" Wyne cried out.

"I can, and I will," Dean declared. "It's for your own good. You'll see."

"But-" Ted started.

"If you keep arguing, I'll have you thrown in the jail, too." That silenced both of them. They looked at Celia, begging for her help, but she was motionless, her mouth gaping at Katrina.

"No one is to visit or to talk to Katrina," Dean said. "If anyone tries to communicate with her, they will be locked up, too."

Ted and Wyne could only sadly watch as Katrina was tied up to the knobbiest, bumpiest, tree Julian could find. The rope cut into Katrina's wrists, cutting off her blood flow.

For the next couple of hours, Julian stood watch next to Katrina, taunting her by making her slap herself in the face. Katrina's power was rendered useless by him when she was under his control, so she couldn't escape.

The next day, Julian took her to the newly built prison cell. The inside was dark and dirty and had no windows. It was only three paces in each direction, so Katrina couldn't even lay down.

The only way out was through a hole in the ceiling, far too high for Katrina to climb to. When she first entered the place, they had her go down a makeshift ladder, but removed the ladder when she was at the bottom. They covered the hole with wood, so that there was no light. Once a day, they threw moldy bread and rotting vegetables into the hole, keeping Katrina alive but hungry.