002 - I should be

Chapter 2 : I should be

Brett Adams

"I'd really rather not be here," I voiced out my thoughts, walking through the corriders of Primal Boys Academy. It was exactly the cliche I expected.

"So I've heard," Mrs Adams said walking briskly ahead of me.

"Mum, there are many other schools," I whined catching up to her.

"Sorry B, your dad choose and insisted on this particular school," She waved her manicured finger around. "I think he graduated from here."

"My point exactly. See how he turned out?" She looked at me with wide eyes and then we laugh.

"Brett stop it, you know I can't help."

"Since when do we do what he says?"

"Hmm, let me think," she stopped to tap a finger on her cheek in thought, then flicked my forehead. "Since forever?"

"You can change his mind," I look her over, "you don't have all those curves for nothing."

"Brett Adams!" She shrieked as we came to a stop at the principal's office. "You don't talk to your mother like that."

I wanted to playfully roll my eyes but I stopped myself. "Yes mother, now would you convince him?"

"I kinda agree with your father." She said tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Celia Adams!"

She smacked me, rolling her eyes. "I feel this environment would be good for you. Good boys everywhere."

"Just boys."

She gave me an eye, "what else do you need?"

This time I roll my eyes. "Testosterone can be suffocating."

"Well," she smiled, folded her hand close to her mouth. "Try not to choke on it."

My mouth hangs open and she choked on her laugh as the principal opens the door for us. "Mrs Adams?"

"Yeah," she inhaled glancing at me. "My son, Brett."

The principal looked between the two of us, probably doubting my mum's claim on me as her son. There was no resemblance and she looked as young as a senior sister to me should look. Celia and I shared a look, rolling our eyes.

"My step son," she corrected, blinking at principal.

"Oh, come on in please."

With a sigh and a heavy heart I walked in, dragging my feet behind me. I really really don't want to be here. "We shouldn't have left America." I whispered.

"Suck it up," she whispered back, smiling widely at the principal.

---

With Celia went my smile and cheerfulness. After we said our goodbyes, I left with the school guide who was taking me to my class and chatting me up about the school. It was a small blonde boy with the clichè accent and he was talking a mile a minute. I zoned out after introductions and now I just busied myself glaring at everything that I looked at.