012 - it's so gross

Chapter 12 : It's so gross

Brett Adams

"Where are you going to take him?" Alex asked, using a fork and knife on his salad.

I has no appetite and was just drinking out a juice box. "I don't know. Maybe not somewhere too fancy."

Alex nodded and I turned to see him chewing, my eyes lowered to his salad and for something so natural, it sure cost a lot of money. Alex didn't mind though, as other people having it and as I wouldn't have minded if I wanted it too. "When are you taking him?"

I shrugged, "I don't know either."

"I know a nice place," Alex said, "actually I know many nice places. Great food, exceptional view."

I pouted, "you think he'd like something like that? I don't want it to seem like I'm showing off or anything. Plus he's probably used to expensive stuffs. I want something simple."

Alex shook his head, "Colton is the last person who's used to expensive things."

I frowned, "what's that supposed to mean?" We're all used to expensive stuff in here, rich boys everywhere.

"Last I heard, he's quite poor. Probably orphaned too."

I laughed, "are you joking?"

"Nope," he shook his head, "why would I joke about that? Colton's on a scholarship here because of his exceptional brain."

"Whoa."

"Yep," he stuffed his mouth with a fork full of green, "in his sophomore year when he was new there was this senior, Juan Manuel. We just called his Juan." Alex waved, "he had a thing for Colton and when Colton didn't respond as he wanted he turned on him. Started bullying him up and down, spreading stories about him and trying to dig up his life."

"He found out he was orphaned?" I asked, the information kinda overloading my brain.

Alex shrugged, "I think he just concluded on that because the only person that always showed up for Colton was this tall guy, his guardian."

"Interesting."

Alex nodded, then stopped. "Wait this doesn't make you lose interest in him right? Because he's poor?"

"Of course not," I whacked a side of his head. "Quite the opposite."

"You like him more because he's poor?"

I smiled. He's different after all. I knew he was different but I didn't know he was this different. That just made him a whole lot more interesting. So there's no one picking him up after school after all, he went on his own. I wondered where he lived. It all made sense now why he was so afraid of the school's system, they could withdraw his scholarship and that'll be all for him here. I also wondered if Alex was right and he was orphaned too.

---

"What happened yesterday cannot repeat itself again," Mrs Fanning said, fuming as she walked ahead. "I waited for you boys and you just leave like that without saying a word. You think I'm a joke? This whole punishment feels comedic right?"

I wasn't moved at all, I even loved her fuming. She looked better this way and if I could get her in this mood again, I surely would. Colton, however, had regret written all over his face and he looked like a scolded little child, hanging his head low and following behind her.

"We're really sorry ma'am," Colton pleaded, "it'll never happen again."

She stopped walking, turning around to face us. Her eyes moved from Colton to me and she glared, raising her short hand at me. "This has you written all over it."