16 - Mine's Civil

Chapter 16 - Mine's Civil

Brett Adams

He didn't text back, I mused to myself glaring at my phone before tossing out to the passenger seat, throwing my head back and groaning to myself. Maybe texting isn't his thing, should I have called?

I turned to look at the phone innocently lying on the brown leather beside me like it didn't do anything. I looked at it until I wasn't seeing it anymore and was seeing the copper haired boy that sat across from me in a different car in a different time. His copper curls combed neatly as always with some falling over his forehead. Bright blue eyes staring back at me stealing all the attention I was willingly giving. I smiled; he looked good in mufti.

A knock on my window startled me and I turned to see the big bright eyes of Alex blinking at me through the glass. I grabbed the phone and my bag, exiting the car.

"Hi Brett," he sang, waving at me with a smile when I was just a foot away.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Hi Alex."

He bounced on the balls of his feet, "Good morning, you totally missed morning assemblies, I had to sign in for you and that a criminal act. Why did you teach me your signature again and how come it's so simple? Don't you know that just makes you more liable to fraudsters?" He gasped. "And I'd be a suspect should something like that happen."

"Why would you steal from me?" I asked, watching him keenly. "You already have enough."

"Being a suspect doesn't mean I would be guilty and one never gets enough money. Like Zeus never gets enough concubines," he grinned.

I hissed using a finger to flick his forehead and making him jump back with a yelp, "you're too jolly, why?"

"Why not?!"

"It's annoying me, stop being such a ball of sunshine." I spat, locking up my car and walking away. Ball of sunshine...

Alex jogged up to me- well, keeps jogging to keep up to my pace, "Hey, I'm not on your waters so keep your Poseidon fury to yourself."

"What the fuck does that mean?"

He gasped again, grabbing my hand to make me stop. "You don't know?"

"No," I blinked at him and he leaves me to face palm.

"Anyway, what I'm saying in essence is that you should be happy I'm here to brighten up your day with my sunshine," he said simply, adding a smile to it.

I shook my head, "your sunshine isn't bright enough yet then."

He jumped, "what do I need to do? What? What?"

That actually made me laugh and I sling my hand over his shoulder, walking slower so he keeps up. "Nothing, unless you can tell Colton to reply my text or call me."

He stopped walking again with a gasp, "Fathers of my bloodline! I totally forgot!"

"Mm-hm."

"Forgive me please," he pouted, "you guys actually went on the date? How was it? What happened? Is he whipped now?"

We stopped by his locker, "it was fine really, very fine." I smiled. "I made him laugh a couple times and gah it was everything." Alex laughed and I did too. Then I remembered, "oh, I have to go. I'd see you in class."

"Don't be late," he warned as I walked away, weaving through the crowd of students.

My heart hammered and my hand patted my back as if checking to see if it was still inside. I had to run a little, afraid that Colton would have left his locker before I arrived. If I miss him by his locker I might never get the chance to give it to him again today. And there's something about the locker scene that I totally wanted to nail.