007- I know

Chapter 7 : I know

Brett Adams

"White, Bunny."

"Gold, cuff links."

"Pfft," I hear Colton and when I look up from the brush I was washing out, I see his eyes on me. "Boring."

"What would you rather I say," I asked, looking at his daring eyes. "Pirate chest?"

"Better that than bloody cuff links everywhere," he scoffed and looked at the paper in his hands. "Brown, annoyance."

Somehow this had turned into a some sort of competition. The old lady had long fallen asleep but Colton kept at it as we continued cleaning up. It's been about an hour now, we we're almost done. I narrowed my eyes at him, pointing a then clean brush his direction. "Now, how on Earth does brown leads to annoyance?"

He smirked, "look into a mirror and find out."

Unbelievable. "You're calling me annoying, then what are you?"

He threw the bunch of paper he had gathered at the bin. "Last I checked, beautiful."

If I blushed easily, I would have been beet red. Pushing the warm feeling away, I spat words at him. "First you call me coy and nasty, now you call me annoying. Any more words up your sleeves?"

He tilted his head to a side, "um, I could think of a few," He started ticking off his fingers. "Stupid, troublesome, nincompoop..."

I glared, advancing towards him. "For someone who's so smart one would think he'd know stupid and nincompoop basically mean the same thing."

He glared too, "more vocabularies for your birdbrain then."

I stopped walking knowing if I got any closer to him, nothing good could come out of him. "Fuck off."

"Giving up already?"

"I don't have your time," I returned back to my easel. "I think it's best we don't talk to each other."

Silence envelopes the room and I just try to concentrate on finishing up and leaving before any punches fly.

"Grey, PBA neck ties."

I arranged all the brushes in place moving to what I'm guessing is my last easel. I looked it over, spotting a colour. "Champagne, Champagne."

"I wasn't the one who called you coy and nasty," I heard Colton rush out and I'm taken back that he actually went back to the topic. "Mrs Fanning did."

"You agreed with her," I said, my voice lacking any edge. I sounded defeated and maybe I was. Colton clearly hates me and that's bloody it. No need trying and hoping.

"Maybe but– but I didn't take it necessarily as an insult."

Huh?

I turn to look at him. "I don't understand you Colton."

"I— I—" he couldn't even look at me and my eyes could be deceiving me but his cheeks looked pink.

"Are you insulting me or not?" I pressed but he stayed silent. I scoffed, turning back to my easel. I was done and couldn't wait to leave there. "Whatever, I'm probably too stupid to get it."

We remained silent and finished up the class. Gathering the waste and shutting the windows. Colton woke Mrs Fanning up and she supervised our work and let us go. Unfortunately I wasn't free from Colton yet as we had to go throw the wastes at the back of the school. The walk around the empty corridor was very deafening and many a times I thought Colton was going to say something but he didn't. When we were done, we walked back to the packing lot. Only my car was left there. He didn't drive?