hanahaki || t.o

all though i told myself i would never write angst cause it would probably suck, here i am writing it, since this week has a been a bit upsetting. i suggest playing the song since the lyrics connect with the story a bit.

3495 words!
[ not proof red so sorry if there are spelling mistakes! ]
oikawa x male reader
—angst—

hanahaki. a disease where you cough up flower petals when suffering from one sided love. the only way for it to be cured is if they return the feelings back to you or you die.

unfortunately m/n he was unlucky to have a crush on his close friend tooru oikawa. it was a pain to have a crush on your close friend and have hanahaki.

coughing petals was a struggle when your friend is a needy person. they only person who knew about this was iwaizumi, the male was getting tired of seeing m/n struggle to stay happy for oikawa and not spill his feelings to him.

because they both knew that oikawa would never return the feelings back to him, for he was straight.

when iwaizumi suggest getting surgery to remove the petals, m/n declined immediately. sure coughing off petals and parts of blood was annoying and tiring, but he loved the oikawa too much to do it.

even though it didn't benefit oikawa if m/n liked him or not, the idea of getting surgery never crossed his mind once.

April 10, 2020.

the cherry blossom season had hit japan.parks covered in bright pink petals and pink petals dancing in the sky. though sadly the beautiful trees only lasted for about 2 weeks.

[ im not fully sure how long it is but i looked it it up and it said about 14 days for mind me if it's incorrect ]

oikawa has invited iwaizumi and m/n to the park to walk around and talk. happy for the invitation, m/' happily agreed. while iwaizumi only agreed so the setter would stop bothering.

the 3 teammates chartered as they walked in the park filled with pink petals. lately for m/n the coughing starting getting server so wore a mask.

lying and saying that he had a small 'cold'. more petals would appear along with blood. he didn't tell anyone, not even iwaizumi who knew everything most of the time.

it being a one sided conversation oikawa rambled about this fan girls and how school was a pain in the ass. iwaizumi kept quiet but sometimes added comments to what the setter was talking about.

while m/n? he kept silent. reason why to this was it pained him to see all the couples walking together and laughing happily. he wished him and oikawa could be like that.

tears began to swell in his eyes and thoughts on how the setter would react if he confessed to him, sniffling slightly and let out a small cough as tiny pieces of petals came out painted in red.

fuck, he thought the blood is getting heavier

oikawa noticed the distress in the males eyes and stopped walking, making the pare pause as well, "m/n-chan? are you okay? your eyes are red and you look like someone smashed your heart"

though it was supposed to be a joke to relive him, it only made m/n feel as if his heart was smashed like a glass doll. he nodded slightly and and cough once more "mhm, im fine. just allergies. you already know how bad they are for me during this season"