Not All things are Meant to Be

Note: Am I too late for a Valentine story? kekeke. I just suddenly have this plot so I decided to write it. (I don't think I can wait for 2021's Valentine) So let's just invent a new holiday and call it Chocolate day. According to author-nim, it is celebrated every February 13. This is the day where single people can give chocolates to the person they wanted to date on February 14.

-------

Chaeyoung had been sleepless since the very first day of February. She's been thinking of a way how to finally confess her feelings for Mina.

Mina is her senior in their department. When Chaeyoung was newly hired last year, it was Mina who guided her with her job responsibilities and and taught her about the company rules, stays up late night working overtime, etc.

They were together most of the time, from morning breaks, lunch break and going out from work.

Once or twice a month, they would go out for dinner and watch a movie if they feel like it or if they want to relieved from too much stress. Or they just spend it chitchatting over a coffee date. Then would go home separately since they live far from each other.

Chaeyoung finally realized that she's falling in love with her workmate.

And she's willing to take her chance. She's willing to take the risk. The only question is how, and when.

---

Chaeyoung did some research and finally arrived with her plan. So, on Chocolate day, she will give Mina a chocolate with a note "Please be my date tomorrow *heart* *heart*". And on February 14, she will set up the perfect date for them. She'll make sure that her day of confession will be memorable.

But she's feeling afraid and nervous too. I mean, who wouldn't right? It's normal. Maybe she could look for a sign? If she'll give her a chocolate or not?

-----
February 13

Chaeyoung was wide awake until 4am and she's been cursing all the demons she know after waking up at 7:30 am. She'll gonna be late for sure.

Their office hours start at 9 am. She looked at her watch as she gets off the bus. 8:50AM.. Shit! Should I go buy a chocolate or time in first? She didn't have time to buy last night because she's with Mina.

--

Chaeyoung finds herself waiting in line to pay for the box of chocolates. It's only 8:53 in the morning and she already cursed more than she can count.

After wasting 5 precious minutes in the store, Chaeyoung is now blaming her short legs for taking short steps. Gad! I swear next year I'll buy chocolates a day before.

--
8:59AM

Chaeyoung is walking/running. She reached the biometric machine on time and praises the Lord Almighty that she's not late. But their office is on the 4th floor and the elevator door is already closing. Oh no! I don't wanna take the stairs. I'm too tired. I'll just wait for it to get down again.

She's standing and waiting for the elevator when she heard someone walking fast. She turned around finding Mina hurrying to time in.

"Minari!" Chaeyoung called her. "You're late."

"Ah. Yes." Mina said while trying to catch her breath. "I dropped by the convenience store to buy something."

"Really? That must be very important. I mean, you risk your time. You never get late. " Did she went to buy chocolates too? Chaeyoung can't help but smile.

"Yes. Really, really important for this important day you know?" Mina smiled at her making her heart raced.

"Uhmm, Chaeyoung?" Mina called her attention. She didn't realize Mina is inside the elevator while she's still standing on the lobby. "Let's go?"

"Yeah. Sure. I'm sorry I spaced out." She said as she walk inside.

-----

Chaeyoung placed her hand on her chest feeling her heart beat and trying to calm herself.

She's in her office and just staring at the box of chocolates in her hands. She's actually freaking out. She doesn't know when is the right time to give Mina the chocolates.

Or should she wait for Mina to give her chocolates instead? Chaeyoung smiled like a fool again. She cant help herself. She's imagining their date tomorrow. The best Valentine's Day of her life.

No, I should be the first to give her chocolates. Maybe she's expecting me to make the first move. She thought. After taking some deep breaths, she finally got her courage and stand from her chair. She was about to reach the doorknob when it suddenly opened.

"Hi Chae!" Mina quickly get inside her office.

Chaeyoung did not expect to see Mina coming in her office. She got startled and nervous, she automatically hide the box of chocolates behind her.

"Hey Mina!" Chaeyoung gulped. Her heart is beating so fast and so loud.

"Are you busy?" Mina shyly asked. Like she's been thinking hard wether to ask Chaeyoung that question.

Chaeyoung noticed she's holding a heart shape can of chocolates. OH MY FREAKING ST. VALENTINE!

Chaeyoung smiled widely. Like she just won the jackpot. "No. I was about to give you some cho--"

"Good." Mina interrupted her. "I'm nervous. I need your moral support. I don't think I can do this alone. I wanted to give this chocolates to Jeongyeon. Please come with me?" Mina showed her puppy eyes, trying to make Chaeyoung say yes.

"Wait... i don't think I heard what you said, Minari. " She just misheard it, right?

"I said please come with me. I'll just give this to Jeongyeon and you can stand outside the door and wait for me." Mina said. "Please, cub? Aren't we friends? You should support me. " Mina said, she's pouting this time.

So, I heard it right the first time. Jeongyeon? Why? That damn playgirl???

Chaeyoung is finally grasping the truth. Oh gad, her heart aches so much. Its just that.. She just thought there's something special between them. She's.... she's just a friend afterall. A company. Well, it's her fault for falling in love. It's her fault for assuming too much. It's her fault for giving meaning to everything they did. She smiled bitterly.

Please... please stop hurting. She told her heart.
Please, don't fall yet. She told her tears that is already forming in the corner of her eyes.
Please bear another minute. I need to be strong. She pleaded her knees that is starting to get weak.

The sound of dropping box of chocolates both startled them. That's when Chaeyoung realized it slipped from her hands. She immediately picked it from the floor.

"Oh! You got chocolates, too." Mina exclaimed happily. "To whom will you give that? Who's the lucky one?"

"Uhm" Shit. Chaeyoung feels like crying. How can she say that Mina is the lucky one? How can she find the strength to say that it's Mina that she loves? Should she still take the risk? Should she... But...

"I.. " Chaeyoung hides the box behind her again, secretly removing the sticky note meant for Mina. "I'm gonna give it to Somi."

"Somi, huh?" Mina raised her eyebrow. "I didn't know she's your type. Well, let's go. She's in the same department with Jeongyeon."

NO! She's not my type. She will never be! Chaeyoung screamed in her head. She tightly clenched her hands which is still holding the note. She..........

She just wanted to lock herself in the bathroom and cry.

-- TO BE CONTINUED ---

Hey, readers! Please listen to BOLBBALGAN4, GFriend, (G)I-DLE, MAMAMOO and EVERGLOW.