Taking You With Me

Jon's alarm went off and I groaned and cuddled closer hoping he wouldn't force me to get up. He held me a little tighter and kissed my forehead

"Ky I need to get up so I can get ready to go."

"Please stay."

"I would if I could, but I have to get going. You can't lay around all day either. You need to get up and get ready too."

"For what?"

"I'm taking you with me."

"You mean...on the road?"

"Yeah. I can't leave you here all alone for a week plus it'll be good for you to get out and do stuff."

I got out of bed and counted the 20 steps it takes to get to the closet. Jon turned on the light and I almost fell over. I threw my hand out and leaned against the counter and rapidly blinked my eyes. The light was so bright. I closed my eyes and opened them again and realized that my left eye went from being dark to slightly blurry. I held out my hand in front of my face and I blinked again only for it to go back to being dark. Jon's shadow was standing in front of me and I looked up

"What happened? Are you OK?"

"I'm fine. It was nothing. I must've imagined it."

"Imagined what?"

I shook my head "Nothing. Wishful thinking I guess."

I got dressed and Jon helped me pack a suitcase. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. I didn't want to get excited about something I was probably imagining, but even to be able to tell that it was my own hand in front of me....I decided I wasn't going to tell anyone unless it happens again. We took a shuttle bus to the airport and waited for our plane. I cuddled up to Jon as we sat at our gate waiting for the OK to board. He sat talking to Ryback as we waited. I closed my eyes for a second and opened them and it happened again. I quickly looked up at Jon and I could actually tell it was Jon. I raised my hand and touched his face and smiled. He turned his head and looked over at me and smiled back. I was afraid to close my eyes, but he leaned in and got too close and playfully kissed my cheek. When I opened my eyes it was dark again. My heart started racing with excitement. I wanted so badly to tell Jon that I was able to tell that he was smiling at me, but I was afraid that it was just my imagination playing tricks and making me think I could see because I wanted so badly to have my sight back.

We boarded the plane and I settled in next to Jon in the middle. I felt him reach over and grab my hand and I smiled.

"Are you OK? You've been acting weird all morning"

"I'm fine. Just my mind playing tricks on me is all."

"How so?"

I shook my head "It's nothing. I think it's just in my mind I REALLY want to be able to see again and so it's letting me see things that aren't really there."

"Kyla...what do you see?"

I shrugged "Nothing. It's fuzzy at best and certain shadows and I can see dark and light but that's it.  Why?"

"Because normally you don't reach up and touch my face and smile like that. It was like you could see me or something. I don't know. Maybe I'M seeing what I want to see."

I laid my head on his arm  and waited for the plane to land. We made our way to the rental car place and picked up the car. We stood around like we were waiting for someone. I wrapped my arms around his arm and leaned against him and waited. It was so busy at this airport. I could tell by the amount of sound and people walking by. He gently nudged my head off of his arm and I stood up and looked at him confused. Suddenly I felt a pair of arms around my waist and someone lift me up

"Kyla!?!!?? I missed you. Look at you! You look so pretty. What are you doing here with this guy?"

I shyly smiled "Hi Colby." I shrugged "Jon...is..."

"Jon is what?"

I stopped and sank back and Jon pushed me behind him

"Here's her stuff. Can I talk to her for a second?"

I took his hand and followed him away from Jon and Colby. It was the first time he'd touched me in months. He stopped walking and he helped me sit in one of the chairs

"Kyla I'm sorry for what I said to you. I shouldn't have made that comment about you not being able to see.  I know you've probably already figured it out, but I just don't think I can be with you anymore. I know I didn't go about it the right way and I've completely hurt you in the process. I guess in a way I felt like I HAD to be with you because I promised that nothing would change between us, but really EVERYTHING changed. I don't know how to explain it."

"You were fine at first, but when I had the follow up after the surgery everything about you changed. I tried Joe...I tried so hard because I loved you so much.  I'm sorry that I'm blind now. There's nothing I can do about it but learn to live with it. I just don't understand. But I guess...bye"

I reached up and took off the necklace he gave me to give it back. I hadn't really cared much at all about him breaking up with me or all that other stuff, but the necklace was special to me. It meant a lot and I felt like I had to give it back as much as I didn't want to. I held out my hand and he took it back as a few tears fell down my cheeks. I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard Joe get up and leave. I stood up and threw myself against Jon and cried. He held me tight for a minute and pulled me back. He gently raised my head and wiped the tears from my cheeks

"It's going to be OK Ky. I'm here."

I wiped my eyes and it happened again. It startled me and I almost fell again. Jon caught me before I hit the floor

"Kyla what's going on? This is the second time today you've nearly fallen down."

I quickly turned my head from left to right to see if I could figure out where I was. I looked up at Jon and tried as hard as I could to focus.

"Kyla...talk to me...what's happening?"

"I can see you a little."

"What?"

"I'm afraid to blink...it goes away when I blink, but I can see you in my left eye...it's really blurry, but I can see you."

"Are you sure?"

I shook my head "No. I don't know if it's because I WANT to see you or if something is really happening. I can't tell if this is a mind game or not."

"What am I doing?"

I watched him for a second "Deuces?"

He grabbed my face and kissed me forcing me to smile from ear to ear.

"We need to go and get that checked out."

I nodded and took his hand. I was so excited...I could actually "see" it this time. We met back up with Colby and I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a hug.

"Pretty accurate for someone who can't see" he teased

I laughed "My left eye...I can see a little."

"Since when?"

"Since this morning.  It's really blurry, but I can still tell what's what"

"Kyla! That's wonderful!!!!  Joe should be happy when you tell him."

"Uh..yeah about that. Um Joe and I aren't together anymore. So please don't tell him....ever.  I'm with Jon now."

"Wow...OK you two have some explaining to do"