29: A Calming Effect

Chapter 29 - A Calming Effect.

Oliver

"What the fuck are you talking about, Alex?" I asked, water still dripping down the strands of hair that fell into my face.

He sighed and scrunched his nose up at me in disgust. "You know exactly what I'm talking about, Oliver. I'm sure you know that I've been watching. I—"

"No!" I interrupted. My voice had risen a few decibels and I tipped my chin up, trying my very best to look intimidating. "I don't know what you're talking about, but I've seen you watching me like that's the only thing you're good at, and that might be true. So now tell me, what are you so obsessed about?" I spat the question at him in an instant, tapping impatiently with my index finger on the sink I stood by.

"I'm not the one with the obsession, if no one has told you're not that interesting. You're just one more confused gay," he shrug indifferently, eying me with an unfazed expression.

His words pierced through me like a knife would pierce through flesh, getting to my bones and hurting me.

"Wha-what did you just say?" I quavered, slumping where I stood and losing all the confidence I had just seconds ago. I blinked repeatedly to ensure a clear vision. Clearing my throat to keep emotions out of my voice.

"You heard me Oliver, and that was just an intuition, but the pale colour of your face has clarified that for me," he motioned at my face and gestured a castigating nod.

"What the hell are you saying, Alex? I'm-I'm not a gay boy or any of the rubbish you think I am," I sputtered, my voice going lower by the second.

"Yes you are, and I don't like the way you look at Khalid. It's both unsettling and disgusting because he's my friend," he rebuked, folding his arms. The look of contempt on his face dwelling and getting more painful to look at by the second.

"I don't look at Khalid in anyway unusual," I swallowed the lump in my throat and batted away the stinging sensation in my eyes. I couldn't cry in front of Alex, I couldn't give him the perverse satisfaction he gets from putting me down every opportunity he gets.

"It's good you mentioned unusual because that's exactly what you gay boys do. You look at us straight guys with so much lust in your eyes and then you end up corrupting the air surrounding the friendship, but I won't let Khalid fall for those tricks. Not after I've been there and experienced the queer vileness. I won't let Khalid become one of your victims," he said with a voice devoid of every emotion but hate and a little hint of regret.

I liked Khalid more than I had ever liked anyone else. I wasn't just in lust for him, his looks were just meager reasons why I was attracted to him. I liked Khalid for the kind of person he was and the way he talked and cared for me, for everyone around him.