39: Finding My Rainbow

(Damian with his ‘expensive’ guitar ^^)

Question: do you pay more attention to the lyrics of a song or to the instrumental and the background beat?

Answer: to be honest, the first few times I listen to a song, I pay more attention to the beat, and if I don't like the beat then I won't pay attention or care to find out what the song is talking about. I must like the beat before actually listening to the song and understanding what it's talking about.

Chapter 39 - Finding My Rainbow

Oliver

"If you keep asking me that I'm going to lose my mind," he chuckled, smiling at me reassuringly like I had nothing at all to be worried about. 

But I had a whole universe to be worried about, and I was doing a good job of going ballistic. This was news I wasn't prepared for, no amount of preparation would've made this any easier to swallow. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I uttered an apology, visibly bemused. "It's just that, I don't understand what you're saying right now," I narrowed my eyes at him and tried to hold eye contact. If only I could catch that small hint in his eyes that would signal to me that he was just joking around with me. 

"What don't you understand? That I'm gay, or that Damian is my boyfriend? Oh, is it the part where I said I found Khalid attractive?" He laughed, making a list and counting on his fingers.

"I-I-I… you…" I stuttered, my mouth hanging open and my eyes blank. His countenance proved he wasn't jesting in any way. 

"Well, that was a long time ago. No need to worry, I'm way over him now, he's all yours. And I'm in a happy relationship, anyways. I don't want to ruin what I've," he spoke so calmly, ignoring the fact that I was miles behind all of this new information. 

"So you're gay?" I found a way to voice a dumb question after a few minutes of silence. He gave me sometime to wrap my head around the bombshell he'd just dropped. 

"Yes, sir, I am. It's funny you didn't find that out yourself.  Among everyone I've met in Denberg, you're the only one I've been this bright and colourful with—I mean, flying my rainbow colours for. Hell, I even let you catch me reading Simon Vs The Homosapien Agenda," he giggled and shook his head, feigning displeasure. "I'm disappointed, Olly." 

"I didn't pay attention to any of those. Okay, maybe I did, for a short while, I didn't want to think too much about it," I admitted, explaining my initial confusion about his sexuality. 

"Why? You didn't want to believe that I could be gay?" 

"Not that, I was scared of being wrong," I quickly clarified, taking my eyes back down to my fingers. 

"Scared? I see," he noted to himself. "Well, I'm gay and I'm not scared about it," he asserted for what seemed like the zillionth time. 

"You really are?" I needed this much assurance to be certain I wasn't hearing things or in some kind of dream where my subconscious made everything I ever imagined true.