Chapter 7 My River Flows for You

"AHH!" Jade lets out another scream as the teeth of the wooden comb passes through her course hair. She clenches her teeth and leans away from Messua once again. She lets out a heavy breath through her nostrils. She'll admit, this is painful.

"It hurts, it hurts!" Messua looks at Jade sympathetically. "I know it hurts dear, but I'm almost done. Just hold still or it'll hurt more." Jade puffs her cheeks and leans closer to Messua again. It may have hurt, but she trusted the woman behind her. She clenches her teeth for pain she knew was to come. Thankfully, after a few minutes, the pain was finally over. Messua hands her a small mirror. "Well, what do you think?"

"It's pretty," Jade replies with a smile on her face.

"Just like you," Messua compliments, caressing the young girl's cheek. "Now you can go to your brothers. Dinner should be ready soon."

"Okay!"

Jade walks over to her brothers nearby. They were relaxing under the shade of a tree. "When will we go back to the jungle," she asks her older brother. Brute gives her a puzzling look. "You want to leave already?" Jade shrugs.

"I thought we only came here for food."

"That was the plan, but we ran into Mowgli's village family. I don't think it would hurt to stay with them a little longer."

"But the jungle's our home."

"But the jungle is not safe," Mowgli jumps in, staring at the ground. Jade silently stares at Mowgli, her mouth tugging downwards. Mowgli finally looks up and meets her eyes. "For now, it's safer in the village." Jade had a feeling these were not entirely the words her twin brother would have said; however, before she can reply, Brute gets up. "Tell you what, dear sister. We'll stay for a few days and if you dislike it that much, we'll leave the village." Jade faces him. She didn't want any of them to feel despair, especially because of her.

"Okay."

"Mowgli, Brute, Jade! Dinner is ready." The trio turn to the voice of Mama and all go inside. They thank her for the meal and eat. Nightfall came upon the village and it was time for sleep. Jade stayed up longer than her brothers. Her brain keeps her awake as he thinks back on what Mowgli said. The jungle is not safe. She knew he was right, but yet, she wasn't fully ready to turn her back on the place she called home. Jade shuts her eyes tightly. For the sake of her brothers, she'll just have to suck it up and try to view things at a different angle.

The moon goes by and the sun comes up. It is now morning. Brute wakes up to the rise of the sun. He yawns then looks to his side as Mowgli also wakes up. Brute looks over to Jade to see her still fast asleep. Mowgli stretches before leaning over to her sleepy sister. "Don't wake her" Brute whispers. Mowgli nods then moves away from her. "She used to wake up around the time we do," Mowgli mentions. "She's probably just still in a dream. She will wake up in her own time." 

Almost an hour later Jade wakes up and yawns. She sees her brothers are gone. They must be awake already. After getting up and stretching, she walks outside to find Mowgli and Brute walking towards the forest. "Where are you guys going without me?" They stop in their tracks and look back. "Jade you're finally awake,"Mowgli exclaims. "Sleepyhead!"

"I'm no sleepyhead!" Brute holds up the basket in his hand. "We're going to collect fruit. Care to join us?" Jade nods happily.

"Let's get going then."

After letting Messua know, the siblings go into the jungle to collect some fruit. They hike up the dry path and keep their eyes open for their necessities. They soon found the fruits they were searching for.

"We mustn't go too far guys," Brute advises as he picks a few carambolas from the branches within his reach.

"I found some mangos," Jade calls out, pulling a few from the tree. "Can I still take it even if it's green?