Chapter Nine

I wake in bed. It's not my bed, I can tell. I stretch and cry out in pain. Then, a boy runs into the room. "Are you okay?" Sam asks, face pale with worry. "Yeah, it's just.. I have... a pain in my leg. Not much, I-" I'm interrupted as electric pain shoots through my leg, and I grit my teeth, desperate to prove to Sam that I'm not weak. 

"Come on" he says, striding towards the door.

"What?"

"We're going to Camp."

        I roll out of bed, and hobble towards the door, trying not to pass out from the pain. Sam senses this, and scoops me up in his arms. "You obviously can't walk. I'll drive to Camp, then Sarah'll get your leg fixed up."

        I'm spread out in the back seat, and decide to speak. "What happened.. last night?" I see Sam's expression- he's pale. "Sam." 

He coughs. "Well, Misty, the guy was going to kill you."

"Yeah. I gathered that from the fact that I COULDN'T BREATHE!!"

        "Misty!!" Sam's face is red with anger. "I would appreciate it if you didn't make a joke out of it. If I wasn't there, you would have died."

"I was handling it fine by myself!" I yell

"No you weren't! I couldn't bear it if you-" his voice cracks with emotion, and he slumps in his seat. Then, he straightens up. "We're here."

*        *        *        *        *         *      *        *        *

        One meeting later, I'm lying in a hammock in a bamboo hut. LS bounds in. 

"Misty, your leg is better, right?"

"Yeah.." I say, confused.

"There's a school we need to eliminate. And... we want you to lead the mission. But.."
        Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of the 'but'. "But, what?"

"Misty, it's your old school."