Christmas

Harley's POV

December the 19th! It's comin' up at the end of the week! Then we'll be able ta leave fa Christmas! But till then I still have ta be here in detention...with those who shant be named. They were on some rampage around town last month. A few burglaries here and there, and of course Arkham, may he rest in peace, got them out of going ta jail. They've been spendin' this month in this dingy detention room. They don't get any contact with the other students except those in here, surprisinly they are the only two this month, not countin' me. They would sleep in the small room in back that had a couple of bunk beds, and they'd eat in here away from student simulation. A teacher will come in every other hour and teach them what they need ta learn and what they missed. Thankfully, I don't have ta receive such treatment, since what I did was minor I'm only in here in the evening. Today is they're last day in this place and then they'll be released from the cage. And unfortunately, fa them I've been keepin' a cold shoulder.

"Harley come on you can't ignore us forever!" Selena whines. Ha! We'll see about that!

"Yeah, Harley, we wanted to tell you but we couldn't! So you need to cut us since slack!" Ivy added.

Darn, now I have ta say somethin' ta that! Whatever, it won't be nice. "What I don't understand is why ya couldn't and can't tell me why ya left! Poor Harvey, second of all. He spent the entire month worryin' about ya! So ya better go see him as soon as we get out of detention! If I really am ya friend ya would've told me!" I snap. Both look down in guilt.

"H-how is Harvey?" Ivy asks shyly.

"Well you're not on his top ten list of favorite people right now." Ivy looks back down sadly. I guess I kinda feel bad.... Oh fine! It's the holidays. "Look I'll forgive ya guys.  Just don't run out on me anymore." they both look up a bit happier with heart-warmin' smiles. The teacher releases us from detention and we head over to our dorms. "So where ya guys doin' fa the holidays?"

"Nowhere." they said at the exact same time.

"Oh so ya guys are stayin' in Gotham?!" I say happily. "Great! We can all hang out over break!" they both give me confused looks.

"Harley, we're not even leaving the school." Selena explains. I don't get it. Why would they not leave school? It's Christmas!

"What do ya mean ya not leavin' school? Don't ya want ta spend time with ya family's?"

"Harley--"Ivy starts with a saddened look but I cut her off.

"So... Ya guys believe it too..? ...... Ya thing this school is justa place fa our parents ta dump us?" First Joker, now them. It must really be true. No don't think like that Harley! Mom asked fa me ta come over remember! "Well you're wrong!" I snap. We stop walkin' and stand in the middle of the empty hallway. "My mom wants me to come over for Christmas! We planned on it the beginnin' of the year! I already confirmed it with Principal Arkham. He said I could go do long as I didn't do anythin' stupid. And I won't."

"That's great Harley!" Selena smiles.

"And... Uh... I'm thinkin' about takin' someone with me.... " Only I know who it is but they probably think I mean one of them. "Joker." Their jaws drop at my decision.

"JOKER!!!!!!" They exclaim in outrage.

"Why?!"Selena asks bitterly.

"Gee, I don't know, maybe cause he's my boyfriend!"

Ivy juts in, "But we're your best friends!"

I narrow my eyes at her, as soon as I do she realizes why she shouldn't have said that, "Best friends don't keep secrets from each other! Second, I want Joker ta meet my mom and brother! And Third, after your guys escape there is no way Arkham is lettin' ya two go anywhere!"

"Okay, point taken." Selena mutters.

We continue down the hallway in silence until I want payin' attention and ran into Jonathan. His cup of tea spilling all over us. A huge pain hits me in my shoulder. I clutch onta it not even helpin' Jonathan but now all eyes are on me as I yell in pain. The girls kneel next to me an check my shoulder, they pull the collar of my t-shirt over my shoulder. I try ta stop them but as soon as they see my dark bruise they both gasp.

"That one's new." Johnathan says, unphased by my injury. He must be one of the most impossible people ta surprise but he is the only one who knows where I'm gettin' these so..

"Harley what happened!!?" Ivy asks pleadin'ly.

"uhm, cheer!  Yeah we were doin' the pyramid in cheer and I fell." I think I gave a pretty good performance fa that one. I stand up and fix my red shirt, "I'll get an ice pack fa it. Ya two go on without me."

"You're sure?" Ivy asks.

"I'll make sure she gets there." Jonathan says with a sound of conflict in his words like he didn't want ts say it. The girls nod and walk off. "So what happened this time?" He asked with a bit of interest as we walked ta the nurses office.

Jonathan's POV

"I don't really want ta talk about it." she murmurs.

'Ask her if she was scared!' Scarecrow places in the back of my head. I can't deny that I want to know so I give him what he wants.

"Were you scared?" I ask, trying to keep Scarecrows from forcing an evil smirk on my face. Hayley looks up at me like I'm a monster.

"What kind of a question is that?"

"I was only wondering." I grumble. We get into the nurses office and the nurse gives her her place ice pack and tells her she needs to control these accidents. We leave with the ice pack wrapped around her shoulder, "Rumor has it that you're going home for Christmas."

"The rumors are true."she smiles, "....I'm taking Joker with me."

'Well she's definitely blonde. Cause that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of!' Okay, yeah he's right, that's a terrible plan! I know she likes him and all but he's been hurting her and she acts like it's nothing. Now she's deciding to spend a whole two weeks legally free in Gotham with him. This should definitely turn out to be interesting. And with Joker gone... What will happen here?

Later, I find Edward ,who by the way, deciphered the whole situation on his own with no help from me! 'You mean us.' 'Shut up!' Edward and I-'us' go to my room to talk in private.

"So what did you want to tell me Jonathan." he says coldly. I'm not sure if it's just to me in general or to Scarecrow but it stings none the less. 'He can hate me all he wants, feelings are mutual.' 'Why?' 'I just don't like him, he's kind of annoying.' 'Eh, sometimes.'

"It's Harley. She's taking Joker with her over break." I explain.

Edward gives me a surprised look, something you don't see everyday from The Smartest Carbon-based Life Form on Earth as he calls himself. "Roman will go on a rampage with this...." he says thinking of the outcome. He runs a hand through his dark auburn hair, "And Harley.... who knows. Jokers unpredictable now. The withdraw effects seem to be subsiding lately but it won't stop him from being what he truly is.... A monster." he sits on the spare bed still pondering the news.

"So, what should we do?"

He scoffs, "Nothing."