three - hogwarts

Once we were on Platform 9 ¾, it didn't take long to spot Mason and his mum, who were lingering near the entrance. I'd made him promise to wait for me, so I wouldn't have to look for him on the train. I sprinted towards him, a huge smile on my face. His dark eyes were sparkling, and he laughed as I grabbed his hands and spun him around.

"I can't believe we're going!" I said, made ecstatic by the bustle and energy of the platform, and the sight of the Express we'd be boarding in a few moments.

"I know! It's crazy. You didn't forget anything important, did you?"

"I hope not. I know you didn't." I stuck out my tongue at him. Mason's organizational skills were a source of constant teasing - he was a thousand times more organized than me and my brothers.

"You've only got a few minutes," Mason's mum said with a soft smile. "Don't get so excited you forget to board the train."

I giggled. "Well, let's go, then!" I'd turned halfway towards the Express when my mother's hand caught my shoulder.

"Not so fast, you," she said, leaning down to kiss my forehead. "Stay out of trouble, alright?"

I shrugged. "No promises." Mum raised her eyebrows at this response, but Mason was quick to pop in.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Potter, you know I won't let her do anything crazy." My friend winked at me clandestinely, which I took as an assurance that he wasn't serious - or at least that what he meant was, 'I won't let her do anything crazy without me.'

Mum smiled, as if she didn't notice the conspiratorial look. "I know you will, Mason. I can't think how much more concerned I'd be if you weren't going to be there with her."

It was my turn to frown, looking plaintively at my mother. "I can look after myself perfectly well, you know."

She and Dad exchanged a look, smirking. "Yes, of course, darling. But isn't it more fun to have a friend?"

"Sure, sure," I sighed. "Really, though, we've got to go!"

Mason nodded in agreement, and after submitting to a hug and kiss from his mum he looked at me expectantly. "You ready?"

"Of course!"

We grinned at each other and headed forward to board the train, filled with anticipation for what awaited us at Hogwarts.

---

Most of the compartments already had people in them. We passed Albus and Scorpius in one, deep in conversation. In another, I saw James getting rather close to a girl I didn't recognize, and looked away, cringing. Mason's eyes held a question that he didn't ask. We moved on.

Eventually, just as the train was pulling out of the station, we did find a compartment all to ourselves. After stowing our things, we stretched out on the seats and settled down for the ride.

"It still doesn't feel real," I said. "That tonight we'll be in dorms, and tomorrow we'll be going to classes together."

"Maybe not together," Mason reminded me.

I groaned. "Don't remind me. I'll be dreadfully lonely if we're not in the same house."

"That's silly. You'll make lots of friends."

"You know very well that I'm not good at that sort of thing. I'll make a fool of myself in front of them all and they won't want to be anywhere near me."

Mason sighed. "Stop it, Lily. You're perfectly good at making friends; you made friends with me, didn't you?"

"We were kids; making friends was easy then."