four - eagles

Well, what have we here, another Weasley descendant? They seem to never end.

I guessed I missed Hugo's sorting, though I had no doubt he'd be at the Gryffindor table. Yes, there's a lot of us, I told the hat. I don't see how that's relevant.

So, Lily Potter, let's see about you. A bit of a smart aleck, it seems? Not surprising with your lineage. But no Gryffindor for you, I think. You may not quite have your mother's spunk... but you have her brains, clearly. I detect a thirst for knowledge in you. A desire for self-improvement. If you were more ambitious, you'd make a prime Slytherin. If you were more humble, you'd be a decent Hufflepuff. But as it is, I believe I'll put you in... "RAVENCLAW!"

I tried to keep a frown off of my face as I descended, but couldn't quite manage it. I supposed I should be flattered that the Hat thought I was intelligent enough to be in Ravenclaw, but the thought of not having Mason at my side was disappointing.

I forced myself to smile and shake hands and that sort of thing when I reached the Ravenclaw table. At least I knew two people in the house - first, my cousin Dominique, who was a third year, and second, Charlie Corner. It was him who I sat down next to to watch the remainder of the sorting.

There were a few kids I didn't pay much attention to, then "Stevenson, Autumn" was called. This name belonged to a skinny, average height bespectacled girl with an angular face and mousy brown hair. She shuffled her way up to the stool, clearly wishing to be anywhere else but in front of such a great deal of people. McGonagall set the hat on her head, and we waited. After a minute or so, it announced, "RAVENCLAW!"

I joined in the cheering as she made her way down to the table. She smiled sort of self-consciously as people greeted her, and I could tell social situations weren't really her thing, so I caught her eye and waved her over. "Scoot over, Charlie," I said, then smiled at the girl. "You can sit here if you'd like."

She looked relieved, and slid in beside me. "Thanks. I'm Autumn."

"Yeah, I heard," I said with a grin. "I'm Lily."

"Oh, yeah. I know." She pushed her glasses up on her nose the same way my dad often did, and said, "I think I've seen you in the paper."

I flushed. "Probably. I'm surprised you'd recognize me from that, though... I look awful in photos."

"Rubbish, you're pretty."

"Oh, I don't know about that," I said, glancing down. Of course I would have liked to think myself pretty, and sometimes I did, but I didn't think it was really altogether nice to heartily agree with someone when they complimented your looks.

So Autumn and I chatted for the rest of the Sorting and through supper, and she told me a whole lot about herself like how she had more older siblings than I could count on one hand and she lived in a big house in south Wales that had more rooms than she could count but was dreadfully boring when all her siblings were away. I, in turn, told her what she didn't already know about my family, like how we lived in Godric's Hollow on the property that had belonged to my dad's parents but also had a house in London that I hated because it was stuffy and full of boggarts.

When we were stuffed and supper cleared away, the prefects ushered us out of the Great Hall and through a maze of halls and staircases, eventually arriving at the entrance to Ravenclaw tower. They explained how the door worked, and had all of us try it out just to make sure we understood. Once in the common room, they directed us to our respective dormitories, and we went to unpack.

In addition to Autumn and I, there were three other girls who'd been sorted into Ravenclaw. There was a tall, dark skinned girl with long braids who introduced herself as Maysie, and a freckle-faced girl with auburn hair named Charis, and a girl called Livia who had brown hair with blonde highlights and was, I thought, very pretty. They all seemed nice enough, but I got the feeling they were all old friends and I would most likely be spending more time with Autumn than with the rest of them.