eleven - knowledge

Dear Mum & Dad,

Everything is going quite well here, so far at least. I've done very well keeping up with my assignments, although Professor Binns made us write fourteen inches of parchment on goblin war tactics, which I'm sure I did poorly on. Honestly, Dad, can't you ask around and see if there's any way of getting a new History of Magic teacher? I know it's not nice to say, but he's really dreadful. On a different note, James says to tell you both hello, as he is far too busy to write you himself. I'm not sure if that's a result of quidditch or of his new girl-friend... but, anyways, he says hello. How are things with you? Any scandalous revelations at the Prophet lately, Mum? If there is, you must tell me. I must go now, as I've got to do some work for Transfiguration today, but please send my love to Grandma and Grandpa and all the aunts and uncles!

- Lily

With a smile, I folded the letter, inserted it neatly into its envelope, and sealed it, then picked it up and stood. "I'm off to the owlery, Autumn. Do you want to come?"

My friend glanced up from where she was sprawled on her bed, squinting at a textbook through her glasses. "No thanks, Lil. I've got an essay to finish for Slughorn. Sorry."

I shrugged. "That's fine. I'll see you in a bit then. Bye!" Waving at her, I slipped out of our dormitory and down to the common room.

"Lily!"

I searched the room for the voice, and found its source in Dominique, who was curled up on a sofa, seemingly in conversation with a few other kids, including Allison Corner, Wyatt Howell (the quidditch commentator), and Alec. My cousin was waving me over, so I went.

"What do you want?" I said, a fake whine in my voice as I raised an eyebrow at Dom.

"We're in an argument, and need you to settle the score. Who cut the ring off of Sauron's finger in Lord of the Rings? Wyatt says it's Isildur, but I thought it was Elendil."

I laughed. "Sorry, Dom, but it's definitely Isildur. Have you even read all the books?"

"Of course I have," she said, pursing her lips. "Thank you, dearest cousin. You've been such a help."

"You really have, Lily" said Wyatt, whose eyes were sparkling with laughter. "I'm impressed with your Tolkein knowledge."

I fought back a pleased smile. "It's nothing impressive. I'm just good at retaining things I read."

"Well," he said, "you helped me prove Dom wrong, for which I am exceedingly grateful."

"Okay, okay," my cousin groaned. "We get it. You were right. Whatever." Her eyes lighted on the thin bundle in my hand. "Going to mail something, Lily?"

"Yeah. Got to keep my mum in the know, or else she'll start pestering."

Dominique laughed - that light, airy laugh that had boys falling at her feet - and stood up. "Oh, come on. Your mum has nothing on mine. Dominique, how iz your classes going? Dominique, who iz this new boyfriend I am hearing about? Dominique, are you keeping zee secrets from me?" When she had finished her Aunt Fleur impression, she gave a wry smile, stepped around the sofa, and hooked her arm through mine. "Come along; I'll walk with you to the owlery."

I smiled at her. "Alright, let's go." A minute later, out in the hallway, I raised my eyebrows at her. "So, who is this new boyfriend I've been hearing about?"

Her creamy face flushed red. "Nobody."

"Oh, don't play that game with me. Rose spilled the beans."