ten - smiling

Going back to Hogwarts after the holidays was a bit of a sudden change. I'd gotten all too used to laying about all day doing nothing at all except reading (I was finishing a Muggle book series called Red Queen, which I mostly enjoyed because of the love triangle at the center of it, which involved two equally insensitive and controlling (but still precious at times) brothers, and a lot of spunky defiance on the part of the main character), or watching television with my brother. James had convinced me to start watching Doctor Who, and I was addicted.

Mason was also a Doctor Who fan, so we spent the entire train ride back to school arguing over which version of the Doctor was the best. I adored Ten, but Mason insisted that Eleven was the best, and we were unable to agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure Autumn was entirely sick of us by the time thirty minutes had passed.

Halfway to Hogwarts, Charlie Corner and Scarlett Boot came into our compartment. When they heard about our debate, they were both quick to join in - on Mason's side. I was dreadfully outnumbered, so after another half hour of back-and-forth I changed the subject.

"How was your holiday?" I asked Scarlett, who I knew had been to the continent with the Corners.

"Oh, it was amazing! We got to see all the sights... France, Germany, Switzerland... wasn't Lucerne beautiful, Charlie?"

"Yeah, it was nice," Charlie agreed. "Honestly, though, the best part was the French food."

Scarlett snorted. "I didn't think you noticed the food... you were too busy staring at the girls."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Charlie the ladies' man?" I laughed. "Who would've thought?"

I turned to catch Mason's eye, looking for a reaction, but found him unresponsive. He was staring out the window, a distant look in his eyes. He'd been doing this quite a bit lately. I knew he was thinking of his mum.

It had taken a lot of persuasion on Ms. Bones' part just to get Mason to come back to school. He wanted to stay with her, but she'd eventually convinced him that she was fine. I had a feeling, though, that there would be nothing but her on his mind for the rest of the term.

If she even lasted that long.

It may have been insensitive to have that thought, but I had seen Susan Bones on Platform 9 ¾ that very morning. I had seen how much frailer she looked than she had only a few weeks ago. I had seen how tightly she had embraced her son before he boarded the train. And I had seen the pained look in my own mother's eyes as she watched them bid each other farewell.

Truly, my heart ached for my friend. I had no idea what he was going through. He hadn't wanted to talk about it since that first day when he found out. I could see him worrying, but he wouldn't let me share it. Perhaps he thought it would be less real if he didn't acknowledge it.

Autumn, Scarlett, and I were in the middle of a conversation about baguettes when the compartment door slid open.

"Mind if I join the fun in here?"

A grin crossed my face as I looked up at the intruder. "Alec! It's been ages."

He smiled at me with the fond lopsided grin that he had inherited from his father. "Four days, is hardly ages, Lily."

"Feels like it, though! Where's Lysa?"

"Am I my sister's keeper?" he asked, eyebrows raised. I stuck my tongue out at him, and he chuckled. "I'm kidding. She's helping Rose with something... they kicked me out of their compartment."

"Probably girl stuff," I said, waggling my eyebrows at him. He made a face, and I laughed. "Well, come on, sit down! We've been hearing all about baguettes."