24||BACK

{KAZOKU'S POV}
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

{KAZOKU'S POV}• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

My nerves jumbled together, twisting and turning until my legs had started to become numb. I latched my hands together behind my back, fiddling with my fingers to ease the circus of butterflies that were housed in my gut.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Kuroo adjust his shirt for the umpteenth.

Prior to this, I had called Keomi Nakamura to set up a meeting. Her tone was bland over the phone, making me wonder if my efforts was in vain. Even if they were, that wouldn't stop me from trying. I had to get Nikko back. Otherwise that ever growing pit in my stomach would remain mercilessly empty.

We took a left down the sidewalk, the office we were heading towards came into view.

I sucked in an involuntary breath, moving closer to Kuroo when the nerves I previously felt jumped into my throat and limited my oxygen intake.

"This is going to work," I reminded myself aloud. "It has to."

My words spurred Kuroo to adjust his shirt again and run a hand through his messy hair that flopped back into his face as soon as his hand was out of the way. "Yeah," was all he said.

The closer we got, the more pressure I put on myself to remain calm. I kept my expression even, monitoring even the smallest twitch in my mouth or brow. As long as I didn't show my true emotions I would be fine. All I had to do was tell them what they wanted to hear.

We stood in front of the doors of the building and I knew both of us were intimidated. I reminded myself that it looked like every other building on this block. It was the same wooden material with red accents. Even the shingles on the roof were of similar shades to the other structures surrounding us.

"One last chance to turn back," Kuroo spoke as I raised my hand to knock on the door.

I scoffed, "Like that'll happen."

My knuckles met the door three times before it swung open. Nakamura stood there, dressed more casually than she was when I usually saw her. "Come in," she said, stepping aside to allow us to come through. I noticed her side eye Kuroo, but she ultimately didn't comment.

The interior was bland. There were pale beige walls lined random awards and certificates made out to various different people along with a few child-like drawings that added a splash of color.