Chapter 17

Clarke made quick work of going over Bellamy's file and adding what she needed to the computer. He sat in the chair across the desk, spinning in slow circles.

"If you keep spinning in the same direction eventually the chair will separate from the stand." Clarke smiled.

"I'm smarter than that Griffin" he replied switching directions.

She shook her head with a smile, powering the computer down.

"Alright, let's go" she stood turning the light off. He followed her out to the car.

"It's already eleven, so by the time we get to Panera it will be close to lunch time."

"How about we just grab it to go, we can eat by the water off the trail?" Clarke suggested.

"Yeah, that's even better" he replied.

By noon they were at Government Island and ready to walk the trail,Bellamy carried the bag of food and Clarke walked along side him. The first few moments were spent in awkward silence. Like they forgot this wasn't the first time they were ever alone.

"You excited to deploy? Cast off, only a few more weeks. It's coming quick, I have no doubt you will be ready."

"Thanks to you" he answered before continuing.

"I am glad I will be deploying with my platoon, I'm not sure I am really ever excited to deploy, anxious yes, but not excited."

"I can understand that"

"I need you to watch over Octavia, I'll be gone nine months. I know she's a big girl but sometimes a little guidance goes along way" he looked at her.

"Don't worry Blake, I'll keep her safe and in line. She usually does the same for me, we balance each other out"

"I'm glad she has you"

"Thanks, that means a lot" she smiled. The trail narrowed so she led the way, not that he was complaining, he was admiring the way her leggings fit perfectly in all the right places.

She brought them right down to the bank along the water, They sat next to each other enjoying their lunch and each others company.

"I come here sometimes when I feel overwhelmed" Clarke confessed, he looked over at her.

"I can see why, its quiet, calm" she nodded acknowledging she heard him, as he leaned in towards her. She loved feeling his lips on hers, just as they touched a twig snapped sending them in different directions. Clarke sighed hearing voices behind her.

A group of teenagers walked through the woods a few feet from them coming out further down on the bank. Bellamy and Clarke laughed at the whole thing and finished their lunch before heading back up to the trail. They stopped to look at a bright green snake hanging in the tree. He quietly made his way down to the ground.

Bellamy watched her, she was amazed by the snake, she took a few photos on her phone, and the way the sun filtered through the trees on her was a photo he wished he had.

"Did you see that?" Clarke asked Bellamy.

"I did" his voice was deeper then normal, she looked up and found him staring at her.

"You are beautiful"

"Thanks" she blushed looking back at the ground, continuing down the trail. She was quieter than usual, Bellamy stayed quiet afraid maybe the compliment took it to a level she didn't want to be on.

His compliment made her whole body warm, and as much as she loved this time with him, the thought of him leaving soon forced her to keep him at a distance. Emotionally she couldn't take having to say goodbye, worrying for nine months. Then they come home and leave again. Working with injured Marines she has seen relationships ripped apart, Marines lose there train of thought and get hurt or killed because they can't focus. She didn't want to put him in danger or do that to herself. She was lost in her thoughts when she heard him clear his throat.