1

Jennie Kim

Year 1950

The year that every hearts of people are eager to fight for freedom. We've been fighting war since I was born. Being alive in a cold war isn't something that I want to, but do we have a choice? Nothing. We couldn't do anything about it.

In my twenty nine years of existence, I've heard and seen worse in this bloody war. Woman being used as a sex slaves, forcing those people who are less fortunate to work nonstop and soldiers that are dying for every battle that they get into is a heart breaking news to hear. Like what I've said we couldn't do anything about it. All we can do is to mourn, get up again and fight for the liberation that we want.

And that day, I promise to myself that I will help my countrymen to the way that I know.

Being a Doctor...

I finished my education in medical field a months ago. After torturing years I finally made it. My father is so happy and beyond proud about it. He wear the pride and honor because the two of his daughters are both successful to the field that we chose. Yes, I have an older sister she's Kim Jisoo, a respective lawyer. The first woman lawyer in South Korea.

I admit I belong to the most influential family in Seoul. My father is the General Army. The highest rank in Military field. Some people said that we're lucky enough to have a wealthy life. And I think we all have different perspectives right? One thing that I learned from my father is to be compassionate to what you do and serve with all your heart. Even though I didn't experienced hardships like the commoners do, I grieve to their hardships.

I believe that people should treat equally and not be treated as a slave. They deserve freedom. This country deserve freedom.

As I enter the Military Camp I was beyond nervous and I felt the excitement rushing all over my body. Yes, I was assigned to the Army Medical Department as a junior doctor. As I reached the department one of the staff welcome me with a big warm smile. "Welcome to the Army Department Dr. Kim." She bowed down to show respect. "Thank you." I smiled.

My first day in my job wasn't that bad at all. In fact, I enjoyed it. The nurses and some staffs are welcoming even the head doctor. They showed me the field and let me familiarised the equipment and routines too.

"How was your day in the medical team?" My father asked me.

"It was good father. The people there are very welcoming." I replied with enthusiasm.

"It's good that you are happy. I know that you will become a good doctor and help a lot of soldiers. I am very proud of you. And also to your sister. You two are my precious babies." My dad said.

Unnie and I hugged our father to show him that we love him. My mother is smiling at us. "Well, where's my hug too?" Mother said while acting like she's hurt.

"Come here mother." Jisoo unnie spread her arm to make space for mother. This is my family.

We finished the dinner together as a daily routine I helped mother to do the dishes and clean our kitchen. After that, I headed to our room. I shared room with my sister. I saw her reading in her table.

"So any interesting thing that happen today?" She asked.

"Well, aside from the load of medical files and war news every where? Nothing much." I shrugged.

And sat to my bed. "And how about you and my future brother in law?" I teased she just smiled at me. Oh these love birds.

"Well he's doing great. Jin has been very busy lately but we're good. You? Any Apple of the eye?" She asked.

"As you can see Unnie, I just finished my day one in the camp. I haven't see any interesting sight in there." I told her the truth.

"As you said so." She teased I just glare at her. Unbelievable. The truth is I wasn't really looking for love. I believe that love is bound to happen in the most unexpected time. Yes, I dated but it was just like a puppy love. I don't really know the meaning of having a great love. What it feels like? Will I be hurt? Will I love it? I don't know.

I heard that the Militaries from Soviet Union are coming here. I guess that's the reason why the people in the whole camp are preparing.

I saw my father in the corridor and approached him to ask him personally. Perks of having a daughter of a general is you can get the information.

"Father, is true that the Soviet will help us to fight the battle"?

"Yes, my child. Our country need alliance for this matter. The US are trying to settle the war between the North Koreans and South. But the problem is they don't agree to the certain thing. So day by day the North Koreans are getting aggressive. So the US president suggest is to bring the Militaries from different countries to support us." He said.

"The war is getting worse." It's all I can say.

"Yes it is. But we will not lose hope. We will get the freedom that we want." My father said with the determination in his face.

"I know the Militaries will succeed. The medical team are here to support you father." I said and salute him.

"You are such a great young lady." Father smiled happily and bid his goodbye.

After the Japanese surrendered a years ago the greediness of the communist from North Korea are getting worse. And the Soviet are trying to patch the damage between North and South Korea. Especially, when we received a news that the North Koreans are attempting to reunite the nation by force and will launch a massive military assault to us.